• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1957 Les paul Special Tuners crumbling!

Mike M

I knew this day would come, but my 57 Special's tuner buttons are crumbling and the first one came off today. Would you recommend replacing the tuners with a new set or replace the buttons? The gears work fine, but I am afraid to even tune the thing now. Are there really good replacements available for vintage guitar? I have seen some sets, but the buttons look super white and shiny. Not a big fan of that look. Thanks for any info!

Mike

Arch D. Bunker

Many have replaced only the buttons - for a '56 Jr I replaced the crumbled set with '59 strip tuners and kept the originals in the case. No deterioration with the 58 and 59 kluson tuners since they apparently changed the plastic composition. You can find those easily for not too much $.

I just got a 56 Country Western dread in great condition though that still has its original, shiny metal tuners plus original, very white buttons. So they did not all shrink and discolor.

Hiya Mike!

url
maxresdefault.jpg