• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Les Paul Tribute Question

Villano

Quick question......Are the physical specs of the Les Paul Tribute the same as a Classic or Standard? I know there are different types of weight relief being employed by Gibson, but the Tribute body looked a bit thinner and I wanted to confirm that all of the external dimensions are the same.

Thanks,
Dave

Axis39

The '13 50's Tribute I just sold was the same size, depth, etc as a Standard or Custom.

Big Al

All the Tributes I have seen were like Studios with a thinner maple cap and overall thickness thinner than a Standard.

Villano

So, we have two conflicting responses here. Anyone know for sure? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

coupe89

From what I am reading studios are 1/8" thinner, so if the tribute has the same body it is too.

Big Al

So, we have two conflicting responses here. Anyone know for sure? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

Is this an issue? Obviously they are not Standards but I can't see how a slightly thinner thickness would present a problem as all hardware and parts fit as well as case options. I have a long history with Les Pauls and own a bunch. I really enjoy my Studios and plan on grabbing more. Goldtop 50's Tribute for sure.

Villano

Is this an issue? Obviously they are not Standards but I can't see how a slightly thinner thickness would present a problem as all hardware and parts fit as well as case options. I have a long history with Les Pauls and own a bunch. I really enjoy my Studios and plan on grabbing more. Goldtop 50's Tribute for sure.

No, it's not an issue and I never implied that they were Standards or that there was a problem. It's a question that I had and wanted to see if I could get a definitive answer for. Glad you're enjoying your Studios.

tonyj

No, it's not an issue and I never implied that they were Standards or that there was a problem. It's a question that I had and wanted to see if I could get a definitive answer for. Glad you're enjoying your Studios.

Hi Villano, are you not able to drop into a guitar store and do a hands on comparison ? The Tributes are a tad thinner than a Standard as has been pointed out. Functionality? They are pretty well the same, and the main differences would be of the cosmetic type. The hardware is basically the same and the guitars are highly respected.
Like Big Al has hinted, the Goldtops are magic. I have a 60s tribute GT with the pale mahogany back. At first glance you might think that the body is bound. A fine guitar and I have no negatives to add to the equation.

grimlyflick

+1 on the Tributes being slimmer, my old 60’s Tribute was definately about 1/8” thinner than my Standard.

Sonic Blues

Hi there, I am buying a 2013 60s tribute, it weighs just over 8lbs, and I believe it is 1/8" thinner than a standard.

musekatcher

There is something different, or Gibson wouldn't have two thicknesses, they'd have just one. Maybe its better, maybe its cheaper, maybe its both. I like my Tribute, its good enough for me, its a Tribute, not a Classic or R8.