• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

What about an arctic white 76?

LCP

Ok, I'm looking at this 76 arctic white les paul.

I am drooling over it really. But before I make the jump, I would like to hear/read some thoughts on it: body woos, pickups, neck, overall value and, of corse, tone.

It would be my first vintage and for that I'd be selling a 1962 custom shop strat (2013) and a fender custom shop 57 champion tweed reissue.

I ask because I have never owned a vintage guitar, so a bit of advice on care and maintenance would be nice too.

Thanks!

67SLP

Have you played it yet? Thoughts?

That is the single biggest determining factor. Some sound/play great... others not so much. The necks tend to be on the thinner side so take that in to account to.

Also check/ask regarding any repairs (especially the headstock), are the pickups original, and what overall condition is it in. This sort of info is needed to help determine the price +/-.

LCP

Have you played it yet? Thoughts?

That is the single biggest determining factor. Some sound/play great... others not so much. The necks tend to be on the thinner side so take that in to account to.

Also check/ask regarding any repairs (especially the headstock), are the pickups original, and what overall condition is it in. This sort of info is needed to help determine the price +/-.

The guitar itself is in mint condition cosmetically. Almost brand new, no dings, no scratches, not even a slight belt buckle mark.

I has had one pro refretting, but I can't tell you exactly why at the moment. The seller is one of the most reliable guys in the business, so if there were any mods to the guitar, they would be informed. I heard the pickups - stock and originals - are more on the aggressive side, bright and growly, with notes well defined.

Big Al

I never saw an Arctic White Les Paul in the 70's. The only color I remember was the Ivory White option like the Randy Rhodes Custom. 76 Customs had the fretless wonder low, low, low flat skinny frets and most from that era have been regretted. It's a good thing if done right and shouldn't harm the value. They had Ttop hum buckers and by then speed knobs and Nashville bridge, IIRC. Pre 75 would have greater collect ability but those later post 74 Gibsons are pretty good guitars, IMO, if somewhat heavy. Condition is everything and if the guitar is 100% original and very clean it would be a good investment, I guess, but I am not an investment type and would not be the one to give good monetary advise, other than what the guitar should be worth, right now.

Looking forward to the NGD post.

Also, this should be in the Sunburst Pub as it is not an Historic/Art/Custom guitar.

LCP

I never saw an Arctic White Les Paul in the 70's. The only color I remember was the Ivory White option like the Randy Rhodes Custom. 76 Customs had the fretless wonder low, low, low flat skinny frets and most from that era have been regretted. It's a good thing if done right and shouldn't harm the value. They had Ttop hum buckers and by then speed knobs and Nashville bridge, IIRC. Pre 75 would have greater collect ability but those later post 74 Gibsons are pretty good guitars, IMO, if somewhat heavy. Condition is everything and if the guitar is 100% original and very clean it would be a good investment, I guess, but I am not an investment type and would not be the one to give good monetary advise, other than what the guitar should be worth, right now.

Looking forward to the NGD post.

Also, this should be in the Sunburst Pub as it is not an Historic/Art/Custom guitar.

Thanks for the input, Big Al.
Before I posted, I wasn't really sure where to do it... Since it is a solid paint (not transparent sunburst) and a Les Paul Custom, I thought the thread should fit in here. But if any of the mods on the forum would be kind enough to relocate it, ok by me.

My bad on the color. It is an Alpine white and weights 9.5 pounds, believe it or not. Talked to the dealer and he said something about the guitar needing a refret because it was kept with the strings tightened up. Honestly, I don't have a clue what effect this has on the instrument, but I was assured the neck was NOT TWISTED or bent.

Also, I do not know what IIRC means, so please, help me out on that too.

This one has the reflector knobs and even though the dealer says it has a volute neck, I cannot see it on the picture - maybe I ought to get new glasses... lol

Ed Driscoll

Les Paul Forum Member
76 Customs had the fretless wonder low, low, low flat skinny frets and most from that era have been regretted.

Other than the hernia operation, I've never regretted my Custom! (Sorry -- couldn't resist the opportunity with that Freudian slip.)

Big Al

Other than the hernia operation, I've never regretted my Custom! (Sorry -- couldn't resist the opportunity with that Freudian slip.)

It's the flipping auto correct, it always gets me.
OP that cannot be a 76 and be Alpine White. Storing strung up has NOTHING to do with fret jobs.

The "Dealer" stories/tales are fishy and I call shenannigans. Something fishy going on. Volute and insert knobs are right. IIRC= if I remember correctly.

67SLP

If it is what the dealer "claims" it to be $2500 is a fair price. I'd verify the serial # with Gibson first. Also if you could post some pics, that would be helpful.

The story about the the strings being "too tight" causing the need for a re-fret is a crock o sh!t. The only thing that causes frets to wear is use. It should also indeed have the volute on the back of the neck.

Hmmm... :hmm

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
Overall, I'd stay away from a '76 Custom
. I had one and could never get along with it. Check the neck joint. 76 started the "rocker tenon" joint and IMHO, that joint is a tone sucker in most cases. The neck is likely maple so it's probably very thin and smooth. Some people like that--I don't.

If it has a neck joint visible from the neck pickup cavity it will more than likely sound better, and weigh less. Them suckers started getting stupid heavy toward the late 70s. 9.5 pounds is not bad at all for a LPC.

What kind of serial number does it have? A a rocker tenon maple-necked LPC would likely have an oval sticker with a two digit code, then 6 digits.

If the guitar is as clean as you say, then it should have only been refretted because the PO didn't like the fretless wonders. If it needs a refret now, there is something wrong with either the frets, fretboard, or seller.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Checking old catalogs and price lists, it looks like Gibson used the term "white" until 1983, when "ivory" was the new term. But next year [1984] that changed to "alpine white".
:salude

El Gringo

Overall, I'd stay away from a '76 Custom
. I had one and could never get along with it. Check the neck joint. 76 started the "rocker tenon" joint and IMHO, that joint is a tone sucker in most cases. The neck is likely maple so it's probably very thin and smooth. Some people like that--I don't.

If it has a neck joint visible from the neck pickup cavity it will more than likely sound better, and weigh less. Them suckers started getting stupid heavy toward the late 70s. 9.5 pounds is not bad at all for a LPC.

What kind of serial number does it have? A a rocker tenon maple-necked LPC would likely have an oval sticker with a two digit code, then 6 digits.

If the guitar is as clean as you say, then it should have only been refretted because the PO didn't like the fretless wonders. If it needs a refret now, there is something wrong with either the frets, fretboard, or seller.
So my early 70's custom has a long neck tenon ? Oh by the way since I got the new wiring harness with the 500k pots and vintage Bumblebees caps -the tone is so righteous. Oh my goodness ,what a tone ,very similar to my R9 ,except the tone is brighter because of the Ebony fingerboard .

FretsAlot

IIRC = If I Remember Correctly...

I have a '76 Custom that was rode fairly hard and put away wet when I got it in the mid 80's. Mine is more than 10.5#. I did remember weighing it 10-15 years ago, but don't remember what the actual numbers are. Part of the reason I got mine is at the time, I hardly knew anything about LP details, guitar set-ups, etc. I was young strong backed, and the guitar was set-up well - At the time I thought a well set-up guitar was 'born that way'.

Mid/late 70's Norlins can get alot of derision, disdaain, even hate from people who subscribe to all the details about LP's. Some of the details, are the pancake/sandwiched bodies, multi-piece necks, volute, and weight. At 9.5# for your candidate, that doesn't sound terrible. People who pick up my Custom normally say something accurate about how heavy it is.

Mine came to me with some mods and some it's had under my 30+ year watch...

Schaller tuners, strap locks, bone nut, jumbo 'SG' refret (as told to me by prior owner), Seymour Duncan '59's w/ mag swaps, 500+K pots, orange drop caps, TonePro's locking Nashville bridge & nut (original bridge was terrible pitted and the saddles were... damaged?... because the prior owner had REALLY acidic sweat that just ate those parts. I even replaced the pickup ring screws which were a battle to remove the first time I changed the pickups (had Dimarzios in it when I got it) because the heads were practically dissolved on them.

BUT... I'll tell you this... when I play that guitar live? I typically get a couple of people telling me afterwards how much they enjoyed the sound of that guitar. More so than other guitars in my stable. So, it... just depends.

I didn't see any pictures of your prospective candidate for us to review for things that don't add up... I've tried to attach one of mine but it's not working like I'm used to, before.

Best Wishes,

Fretsalot/Scott

Attachments

• IMG_0424.jpg
    IMG_0424.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

LCP

Ok, here's the info that I got.

Guitar was barely played and stored for a long time.

Not allowed to post pictures here, but it looks mint. It is a white custom, but catalog wise I can't tell if alpine or arctic. It is a 76 model for sure, with a volute maple neck and ebony fretboard, sandwich body.

What happened is since it was stored for a long time it had a hump (or a kick) in the neck, as the fretboards tends to move, in time, causing fret buss. So the dealer had a pro-fret job done to it and it is no longer an issue.

Also, it was said that this does not have anything to do with the neck joint.

Big Al

Checking old catalogs and price lists, it looks like Gibson used the term "white" until 1983, when "ivory" was the new term. But next year [1984] that changed to "alpine white".
:salude

Yep and it is a much brighter, less creamy white. An altogether different color. I think Gibson also used the herm Polaris White in the 60's. The reason I fixed on the term for the color is several reissues of the 70's white Custom have been issued to capitalize on the Randy Rhodes thing as well as newer bright white models. The vintage white Customs have a very unique look to them that Gibson seems unable to duplicate now.

I agree with Wilko that personally I'd look for an earlier Kalamazoo made Custom, 68-74 for investment and playability. They are just better guitars and should prove to be a solid investment. At least that is where I'd look in that market.

LCP

Yep and it is a much brighter, less creamy white. An altogether different color. I think Gibson also used the herm Polaris White in the 60's. The reason I fixed on the term for the color is several reissues of the 70's white Custom have been issued to capitalize on the Randy Rhodes thing as well as newer bright white models. The vintage white Customs have a very unique look to them that Gibson seems unable to duplicate now.

I agree with Wilko that personally I'd look for an earlier Kalamazoo made Custom, 68-74 for investment and playability. They are just better guitars and should prove to be a solid investment. At least that is where I'd look in that market.

Ok, thanks.

I am probably dropping the deal for financial reasons. I liked the guitar but will not buy another one at the moment. Also figured I am more into a fat neck vibe at the moment. So it is for sale at a famous NYC store, if anyone would like to check it out.

On the other hand, Gibson is not interested in duplicating or recreating things the way they were in the past, not really... They simply do not care.

I heard from a reliable source that one of the sponsoring companies for this forum recently bought the old machines used at the Kalamazoo plant to wind the old PAFs - and is since producing great PAF reissues.
Word said Gibson did not care for it. As they do not care so much for details some around here think they could/should.

Personally it doesn't make that much of a difference to me, as I think they still make great guitars - maybe not for long, since they're going through rough times... Who knows.

Thanks to everyone that shared an opinion here.

Luis

LCP

???

The seller won't let you post pics?

Maybe it's just me, but that seems like it could be a red flag.

Fretsalot/Scott

Hi Scott,

I somehow did not see your previous post before, I'm sorry.

It is a really nice point of view on the Custom and it sure helped me think it over.

Reason I didn't post pictures is because I just have the link to the store and it is not a sponsor here, so I'm afraid that might be against the rules, since it might somehow look like I am promoting the store or trying to make a sale. If any of the moderators say it is ok, I will post the link.

But I can tell there is no red flag, nothing strange, no hidden facts. I have been a customer there for a long time, bought all my guitars there and trust the dealer, as I am sure many others in this Forum do.

I just asked here so that I can get to know the overall opinion about this particular year/era type of guitar before I made up my mind.

Thanks!