• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Question for 335 experts

bogdan101

Why is the Memphis 1959 VOS 50% more expensive than the 1958, other than the neck binding?

CAGinLA

Why is the Memphis 1959 VOS 50% more expensive than the 1958, other than the neck binding?

I don't think there was a 50% difference in street price. 2016s 59s are $5,999 and 58s are $4,199 (not sure what the prices are for 2017s right now, as Gibson just had another price hike).

It's mostly due to marketing - just as with Les Pauls, 59s are the high end and 58s are next tier down.

As for construction, you get all hide glue construction on the 59 (58 has a mix of hide glue, Titebond, and Assemble 65 glue [whatever that is]).

Neck binding on the 59, no binding on the 58.

Also note: Nashville-made 59s have all maple bodies, while Memphis 59s and 58s are maple-poplar-maple.

Pellman73

see if you can track down a Rusty Anderson (2013)

I was bummed out by the 1959 VOS prices as I thought I'd pay 5 and the guitar would be worth .... not 5

I got a warren haynes and then learned about the Rusty Andersons

they are going for closer to mid threes, they only made 250 of them, they are based off his 1959 (same neck profile. somewhat like a collectors choice 335 if you will), and if you spend 3500 you could get it back and I'm guessing they will appreciate in value.

I think they are great 1959 blonds for the price and you won't be effectively losing a grand the minute you buy one

anyone else feel this way?

there are some beautiful blistery topped 1959 VOS ones that I really love but... I think this is a great guitar if you want a 1959 blond es 335

wmachine

I don't think there was a 50% difference in street price. 2016s 59s are $5,999 and 58s are $4,199 (not sure what the prices are for 2017s right now, as Gibson just had another price hike).

It's mostly due to marketing - just as with Les Pauls, 59s are the high end and 58s are next tier down.

As for construction, you get all hide glue construction on the 59 (58 has a mix of hide glue, Titebond, and Assemble 65 glue [whatever that is]).

Neck binding on the 59, no binding on the 58.

Also note: Nashville-made 59s have all maple bodies, while Memphis 59s and 58s are maple-poplar-maple.
Right now the Gibson site shows the 2016 1959 ES-335TD at $6499 street. That's what the OP is asking about. I've noticed that too.
And no, there is no difference to merit anywhere near that difference.

AA00475Bassman

Id buy the 58 hands down , but if you want neck binding find a nice used 59 VOS .

jalevinemd

None of it makes sense to me. It's like why is a beautifully figured R8 so much cheaper than an R9?

AA00475Bassman

None of it makes sense to me. It's like why is a beautifully figured R8 so much cheaper than an R9?

People have a list of reasons a R9 is better , most reasons are ridiculous . I own two very nice R8s I bought in 2007 and Im into these two guitars for less than a R9 I would consider buying .

CAGinLA

Right now the Gibson site shows the 2016 1959 ES-335TD at $6499 street. That's what the OP is asking about. I've noticed that too.
And no, there is no difference to merit anywhere near that difference.

That's not actual street, as you will see if you click the links to Wildwood that I added to my post.

Also, I see that Sweetwater currently has a 59 listed at $5,849 and a 58 at $4,049.

I paid $4,100 for a 58 in 2016.

wmachine

That's not actual street, as you will see if you click the links to Wildwood that I added to my post.

Also, I see that Sweetwater currently has a 59 listed at $5,849 and a 58 at $4,049.

I paid $4,100 for a 58 in 2016.

Okay, you can argue whether it is street or not, but the prices on the Gibson website are considered to be street, and generally are the same as the regular prices at dealers. Yes, in some cases like this, dealers have them for less. And also in this case, for good reason. But I don't consider any one dealers price to be the "street" price. As you just shown, those dealer prices vary.

CAGinLA

Okay, you can argue whether it is street or not, but the prices on the Gibson website are considered to be street, and generally are the same as the regular prices at dealers. Yes, in some cases like this, dealers have them for less. And also in this case, for good reason. But I don't consider any one dealers price to be the "street" price. As you just shown, those dealer prices vary.

I have never, ever - not even once - paid the price listed on Gibson's site (and I have owned a lot of Gibsons over the years - not as many as some of the high rollers here - but way more than your average player).

The stores from which I buy my Gibsons (and I posted a big list of them on the Historics subforum several days ago) almost always list their guitars well below Gibson's published prices - and even when they don't, all you have to do is call/email and ask for a better price and (if you're not an a**hole and your seem ready to buy), they will give you a deal.

goldtop0

The '58 ri is better value for money than the '59 for sure......... and I like the beefier neck on the one that I tried at my local store.

TM1

Especially when it's Not a solid piece of Maple like a Les Paul.. It's a layer of veneer. I'm not saying it's cheap because they have to buy a log or a board that's 17-18" wide and cut that. If I recall from my Jr. High Woodshop days, they take a log and turning it & peeling off the wood in a long sheet to make the ply's for plywood.
But still.. No Way worth the extra $$ between one model and the next..

TM1

The 2015-2017 Mempish 1959 is a higher spec instrument in these ways:

binding
hot hide glue used on fingerboard attachment
solid center block ("1959" spec)
hot hide glue used for rim assembly, spruce braces, and maple centerblock

the 1958 uses the same construction as the 63, but without binding and with dot inlays:
center block cutaway like on a 60s ES-335
"assembly 65 glue" used on fingerboard attachment
titebond used for rim assembly

not necessarily higher spec, but the 59 neck seems to shade .02.-.05 thinner
My `63 block inlay ES-335TDC was built using Hide Glue for the fingerboard, neck joint, Spruce expansion plates/center block. I think I paid $4k for it at the end of 2014.

CAGinLA

Are you sure? That has not been the spec since 2015 - the 63s and 58s did not get hide glue for the fingerboard attachment. It was Assembly 65 glue, per Gibson. Only the hyperexpensive 59s were and are getting hide glue there for some reason.

I am not sure about 2014, as you cannot check the spec right now. But I don't recall Memphis using hide glue for the fingerboard on their 63 RIs - it's been one of the sticking points for why I haven't bought one. I've asked repeatedly through dealers over this time.

Yeah, that's been my impression, as well.

If you watch this NAMM 2014 video with Mike Voltz, he describes the full 2014 line as having hide glue neck joins, but doesn't mention the fretboard - only when describing the 59 335 does he specify that this model is all hide glue, including bracing, neck join, and fretboard.

https://youtu.be/2wEiiTc8Kn8

Uncle Gary

Gibson charges more for the '59 reissue because it's a "59", and, as we all know, 1959 is the "magic" year for Gibson guitars.