• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

How important to you is original finish on a 52:56 Goldtop?

dwagar

That's what they are designed to do. The action on mine is great.

Patek

Thanks don, sounds great

How does it play and feel compared with the 56 style hardware ?

Any pics also ? Cheers

dwagar

The action is fine, the intonation is quite good. I don't know if it's different than an ABR1 guitar to play, I don't really notice much of a difference switching from the trap to a wrap tail to an ABR1 guitar. For me the differences are more in neck size, pickup differences. Someone that spends more time comparing the differences would probably have more insight to that.

I'm one of those guys that doesn't like converting an original. My '53 had a poor conversion to an ABR1 that I had the tech reverse when it was refinished. But other people don't have the same feeling about converting, it's your guitar, your decision. I was on the hunt for a '52 that I could afford, an early '53 was close enough. I was born in '52, I've wanted one since I was 16, lol.

full

JPP-1

You bring up some intersting points Patek.

And you know it's funny that Patek is your screen name. There used to be a commericial by a local patek philippe dealer who liked owning a Patek to being the steward of an remarkable timepiece that would be past on through generations.

I would say this is doubly true of a vintage Les Paul. Simply because there are a finite number of vintage les Pauls

With that in mind, when I've considered a GT in the past originality was critical. And if I buy one in the future that would still be an essential factor. I don't want to start an argument about old growth this or tone woods or any of that. but if I wanted the best sounding les paul guitar I'd probably spend a few bucks traveling around to dealers playing every new and used Les Paul I could get my hands on.

That's not the reason why I'd buy a vintage Les Paul. I already have a phenomenal sounding Les Paul. The only way I could get better tone is to be as talented and gifted as some of those great Les Paul wielding guitarists I admire.

If I thought old growth wood had some tonal magic, I would have a replica built. Buying a vintage Les Paul is buying a part of history, at a time when America and popular music were at an inflection point. A guitar that has lasted at least a generation and has found its way into my hands. And now I am the steward of it for a time until it goes on to the next player That's why originality would be absolutely crucial.

Good luck with your search

Last edited:

Patek

Hi Don thanks for the info and the pic... it looks absolutely stunning as it is, congrats on a fine piece. My dad was born in 53 so 53 would be a great year for me too as a tribute to him (although he plays very little compared to myself). Great stuff and thanks for your swift replies

Patek

Hi JPP, indeed especially a vintage patek which again as per the 50s LPs, on the whole there are far far fewer vintage pateks around of a comparable nature to a 50s LP compared to the more mass produced pateks of today (they are still amazing though of course). Patek is probably the equivalent of Gibson of the watch world (or that might be rolex...? Or maybe fender is rolex haha).

When I finally do get the funds to move on a 50s LP there will be that nag in my head; should I get a used 5110 worldtime patek instead for the same sort of figure? As that's the dream timepiece...

Anyhow; many thanks for your response, I enjoyed your input and it certainly puts another angle on it; it is indeed a piece of rock and roll history.
And probably 'cooler' thank a 5110 patek !

THanks again for your help JPP

JPP-1

Hi JPP, indeed especially a vintage patek which again as per the 50s LPs, on the whole there are far far fewer vintage pateks around of a comparable nature to a 50s LP compared to the more mass produced pateks of today (they are still amazing though of course). Patek is probably the equivalent of Gibson of the watch world (or that might be rolex...? Or maybe fender is rolex haha).

When I finally do get the funds to move on a 50s LP there will be that nag in my head; should I get a used 5110 worldtime patek instead for the same sort of figure? As that's the dream timepiece...

Anyhow; many thanks for your response, I enjoyed your input and it certainly puts another angle on it; it is indeed a piece of rock and roll history.
And probably 'cooler' thank a 5110 patek !

THanks again for your help JPP

Anytime. Patek. And yes the 5110 world time is a beast of a watch..

But it's funny I always look at Gibson Les Pauls as having that iconic look and same instant window appeal as the Rolex Sub. Something about the binding on the LP and bezel on the Sub

Maybe a vintage Lester would be akin to a Newman era Daytona.

Anyway, as much as I like watches, I get far more enjoyment out of my guitars. So it wouldn't be much of a choice. The good news is if you buy a Patek Rolex or vintage Les Paul right you will probably not loose anything should you decide to go in a different direction.

And that is another reason why originality is critical. Originality helps to autethicate the item is genuine. Once you start stripping that away it becomes less certain and more story.

You definitely came to the right place though. The LPF is a great resource as you start navigating vintage waters. Hopefully we will see you posting a nicely checked original GT in the future.

Patek

Thanks JP, you are absolutely right on watches vs guitars and dare I say amps. One decent sports rolex should be enough to help stave off the temptation when presented with the opportunity for a GT

Agree with your analysis on the sub & LP !

And thanks for your advice re the finish, makes perfect sense !! Definitely the way to go!

Fingers crossed I can pull something together next year

Regarding the patek - how about you have 2 GTs, and it's either a 3rd, or say a used annual calendar / aquanaugt dual time ?

Or none of the above and a fiesta red early 60s strat? :p

JPP-1

Thanks JP, you are absolutely right on watches vs guitars and dare I say amps. One decent sports rolex should be enough to help stave off the temptation when presented with the opportunity for a GT

Agree with your analysis on the sub & LP !

And thanks for your advice re the finish, makes perfect sense !! Definitely the way to go!

Fingers crossed I can pull something together next year

Regarding the patek - how about you have 2 GTs, and it's either a 3rd, or say a used annual calendar / aquanaugt dual time ?

Or none of the above and a fiesta red early 60s strat? :p

Well, if you have 2 GTs then why not go for the Patek. Without getting too insane, I like the 5726 or 5164a.

I love Strats, but today buying a good original vintage Strats is way too much of a crap shoot afaic. I'd stick with the GT and then go for a 335 if you want another vintage axe.

BSeneca

The action is fine, the intonation is quite good. I don't know if it's different than an ABR1 guitar to play, I don't really notice much of a difference switching from the trap to a wrap tail to an ABR1 guitar. For me the differences are more in neck size, pickup differences. Someone that spends more time comparing the differences would probably have more insight to that.

I'm one of those guys that doesn't like converting an original. My '53 had a poor conversion to an ABR1 that I had the tech reverse when it was refinished. But other people don't have the same feeling about converting, it's your guitar, your decision. I was on the hunt for a '52 that I could afford, an early '53 was close enough. I was born in '52, I've wanted one since I was 16, lol.

full

Nice! I just bought a 52 with a neck repair that was done years ago. Nothing else except the mojoaxe bridge is changed. Could never afford a straight one, but it is by far the best sounding guitar I have ever had. Would never refiin it. I gig so I am not a collector. I wanted THAT sound and now I have it. Struggled with the frets and considered refret but I am trying to adapt.

Patek

dwagar - Just seen your LP on my computer (i've been using my phone on this forum to date) and DAMN!!! what a fine piece - such good condition too for something that i'm sure you enjoy playing regularly. Congrats!

dwagar

Nice! I just bought a 52 with a neck repair that was done years ago. Nothing else except the mojoaxe bridge is changed. Could never afford a straight one, but it is by far the best sounding guitar I have ever had. Would never refiin it. I gig so I am not a collector. I wanted THAT sound and now I have it. Struggled with the frets and considered refret but I am trying to adapt.

I had the same struggle for awhile. I finally had the same guy that did the refin put frets on this guitar and my '57 Special. Neither guitar is collector quality, both are for gigging.

BSeneca

I had the same struggle for awhile. I finally had the same guy that did the refin put frets on this guitar and my '57 Special. Neither guitar is collector quality, both are for gigging.

Did it make a big difference? With the trapeze you already need to have a higher action, which I have adjusted to, but I thought with a bigger, higher fret this may compensate a little for the higher action

Patek

Having to compensate for higher action is what I'd worry about (wouldn't accept), as it would ruin the experience for me and end up never getting played. That's my main fear. As I woukd hate to fly all the way to the USA to meet the guitar with the intention of purchasing then realising I don't like the way it plays and go back empty handed

dwagar

I suppose higher frets compensate some for the action height. I just did a quick comparison, the '53 is slightly higher than I set my R9, not enough that I really notice it.

But action is a personal preference thing. My '64 ES330 has about the lowest action i've ever seen, which is nice to play once in awhile, but I don't prefer that low a height. And I've played a couple of guitars from guys I consider really good players that have their action set higher than I like.

BSeneca

Just gigged my 52 last night and the action really isn't an issue. When I sit down and play on the couch or something it seems high, but I have zero issues plugged in and cranked. Plenty of sustain