• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Used guitar prices in the USA?

adamm82

I am going to California next week, San Diego, LA and SF (from the UK) and will no doubt be visiting numerous guitar stores.

I am not looking for any thing particular now but I have a telecaster shaped gap in my collection. nothing expensive probably but who knows. I know with the current exchange rates I won't really probably get a bargain but I like the idea of buying a guitar in the US.

What would you say were average used prices for say
Fender MIM standard tele.
Gibson Les paul Special/Junior. Recent models.

Blue97FXSTC

Check the local Craigslist for each city you visit.
MIM Strats are three hundred USD all day long.
MIM Teles seem to trade for about one hundred more.

Ship

I live in Orange County and am always keeping an eye on San Diego, LA, and Orange Counties Craiglist pages everyday since they are all within driving distance. The going rate for a MIM Tele out here seems to be about $500 on Craigslist but I see a lot of American Standards going for around $700. On your trip if you have the time, I would suggest checking out the Guitar Collector in OC shop on your trip between LA and San Diego. The owner is a pretty nice guy and he's always willing to bargain. Not really sure on the Les Paul Junior/Special prices as I don't see them pop up on Craigslist often.

Big Al

CL is want ads. The op mentioned Guitar Stores. Gbase is a link to dealer/store inventory is easy to search and he can do his homework and possibly set up a deal in advance.

deytookerjaabs

OP, Guitar Center used is a good place to start for market value, you can enter your zip code and see the inventory of local stores. In the Los Angeles area I'm seeing MIM Fenders from $350-$600+ in General and Tele's about $400-$600+.

Also, lots of MIM guitars in Pawn Shops too. Heck, the first guitar that came up when I searched craigslist LA was a USA Highway One blonde tele for $650, nice guitar if you're willing to go the private sale route.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
CL is want ads. The op mentioned Guitar Stores. Gbase is a link to dealer/store inventory is easy to search and he can do his homework and possibly set up a deal in advance.

Craig's List has separate listings for businesses. Most of us include these in our search parameters. But, it is possible to find some local store items on Craig's List. I wouldn't start my search there, but would possibly include it.

WBailey

I think Reverb pretty much levels the playing field.

Just consider reverb fees and shipping when dealing in person.

Good luck ! :salude Enjoy our weather ! lol

I'm in southeast Florida. $300 pretty common for mim tele/strat

WBailey

Case and point;

This popped up on my local craigslist this morning;

$340 with upgraded electronics/pickups

00S0S_4WXekhDsTYx_600x450.jpg

sonar

Craigslist is where deals can be had, but I wouldn't recommend it to a tourist. Too many negative variables and scenarios, even in the best of situations, and adding in the lack of familiar surroundings...

I'd stick to the stores. In fact, I was planning on hunting Craigslist the last time I was in LA (and have LA friends that would have helped) but didn't feel comfortable enough to do it.

Depending on the models MIM Tele/Strat guitars range from $350 to $650 used.

Used Gibson USA Les Paul Jr's aren't as widely available in the stores as they once were. I used to see them starting around $450 to $500 a few years back, but not so sure that's true anymore?

The Gibson LP "Special" name doesn't really mean any specific guitar anymore. It could be anything from something that looks like a budget LP Studio to the 2 pickup P90/Mahogany slab that the model should be.

Anyway, enjoy the weather and scenery. Your guitars will be home waiting for you even if you don't go on a gear hunt.

renderit

Be careful! People are not always as they seem on the net.

36388544361_ed2470d37a.jpg

Big Al

Be careful! People are not always as they seem on the net.

36388544361_ed2470d37a.jpg

You know one should seek permission before posting anothers visage in such a manner. That a brother would post my high school yearbook photo without asking is hurtfull enough, but to further imply that I represent something to be careful of, ... well that sir, is downright painful. Too destroy the mystique that I have so carefully crafted is just cruel.

adamm82

Thanks everybody.

I will probably stick to guitar stores rather than craiglist. I've been to LA quite a few times so been to Guitar center and sam ash a few times but I will track down a few more.

I'm really looking forward to the trip. I am going to hire a car a mustang is tempting! though a ford fusion may be more sensible choice.