• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Does the red dye sinks deep into the wood of the back of the Les Paul reissues ?

electricsky

I wonder if the Red dye they use for the back and neck of the Les Paul reissues ,sinks deep into the wood or is it just on the top of it ?

i wonder about that cause i would like to buy a reissue 59 but most of the beautiful wide flames top i see are in USA ( when i see what they have in some shops in the USA ,they really have some much more beautiful than the ones we have here !) ,so i wouldn't be able to try it first .
If the neck profile is really too big for me ( many seems to have bigger neck than the few original 54-55 i have had . And i would prefer not sell it if i find the top i want and that it sounds good ,knowing how hard it is to find one with a top i really love ! More than 2 years i look for one ! ) , i was thinking about asking a luthier here in France ,to make the neck sligthly less big but i was wondering if doing that ,he would remove the dye or not and if he would be able to put back the same color on under the nitro finish ?

i would suppose the Dye sinks into the wood (but how deep, i don't know !) , cause when i see some where they remove some of the finish, to make it look worn/ age , the red dye is still there on the back but maybe it's just on the surface / top of the back and not that deep in the wood ?

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
When reshaping the neck, the color will be removed. For a perfect match the whole neck can be stripped.

Unstablemedic

I don't think there's any paint or stain or dye that penetrates wood deep enough that would let you take away wood and still have the color present. Also, necks on the historics aren't that big and vary in size between guitars, actually very comfortable. Another thing is don't buy a guitar solely on looks bc sometimes they aren't always the best ones. This accounts for both guitars and women. If you want a keeper, find stores with a good selection and just play a bunch until yours appears bc the last thing you want is a lifeless guitar that's pretty to look at.

jb_abides

Another thing is don't buy a guitar solely on looks bc sometimes they aren't always the best ones. This accounts for both guitars and women. If you want a keeper, find stores with a good selection and just play a bunch until yours appears bc the last thing you want is a lifeless [one] that's pretty to look at.

Where are these Women Stores of which you speak?! :spabout

Unstablemedic

Some place warm, a place where the beer flows like wine, where beautiful women instinctively flock like the salmon of Capistrano. I’m talking about a little place called Aspen. :rofl

Red Rogue

You shouldn`t be too concerned about the neck. The 59 reissue necks aren`t known for the baseball bat profile. And even it is a bit bigger. Give it a try. You may get used to it.
Maybe the 52-58 necks are bigger. Since 2011? even those necks are more moderate. The neck of my CR8 doesn`t differ a lot from my friends CR9 neck.

renderit

You shouldn`t be too concerned about the neck. The 59 reissue necks aren`t known for the baseball bat profile. And even it is a bit bigger. Give it a try. You may get used to it.
Maybe the 52-58 necks are bigger. Since 2011? even those necks are more moderate. The neck of my CR8 doesn`t differ a lot from my friends CR9 neck.

Mine are a bit different. My 15 R4 has a HUGE neck. Don't think I've had one bigger. Then they lower just a tad each year on my 15 R7 and 15 R8 until you hit perfect on the 13 R9. Then my 15 R0 is that really shallow wide thing. The True Hist R6 I got is between the R9 and the R8 really. Other than the TH and HS's I have (55 excluded) I could be blindfolded and tell you which is which. The 55 (Black Widow) has a super soft V that you almost would call a C so I can guess it as well. Most of the R9's I have played are really awesome as far as the neck goes. I wouldn't mind getting another.

electricsky

Thanks for your answers.
59 reissues seem to have bigger necks now than they had before in the 90's for example.
i saw many ( measured by sellers ) which have a bigger neck than the 5 les paul gold top i have had 53 to 56 .

clearmudd

Hugh Hefner had the ONLY store, and now that he has passed ......................I only hope Henery J doesn't get any ideas.

Last edited:

jhmp

Where are these Women Stores of which you speak?!

yeah, they're ready to be Grovered

clearmudd

He does have a past...he has also passed! Ar ar ar:salude
Mi turd grad edgmacation comms thru every now and thin.:spabout

Thank you for the correction Ren, it's my i-phone that's smarter than me.

Last edited: