• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Debilitating Injury Pain 24/7 Has m questioning....

sharky

Sell some of your guitars to fund a home Jacuzzi. Heat may help joint pain.
Floating in a pool takes weight off the spine.

better test before buying. I am in constant pain from an accident since around 17 years now and warm water is the worst I can do.

Wearing one of those may solve the weight problem with the guitar over the shoulder: https://www.slingerstraps.com/

When I wear a backpack once in a while, I always have a waist strap pulled tight to reduce the weight on my shoulder/back

DEVILBAT

I second this....THIS is where im at , I used to just take some before i did a gig or rehearsed , But now i just take handfulls pain or no pain !
you see after a while the dose your on will stop working and you'll feel the need for a higher dose and so on and so on

Then your mental state will be affected and they WILL pull you down and add to your depression !

huh i aint gonna ramble but KEEP YOUR GUITARS thier gonna be the thing keeps you going, thier an extension of your body , mind and soul

I wish you all the best mate and keep us up to date and KEEP TALKING , NEVER keep this shit to yourself

Brother I feel ya...I am down to 15mgs of oxy in the morning per day.....but in pain now 24/7. I picked up my guitar today for the first time in a week didn't bother to plug in. Pain. I think I'm going to try to start working out a bit...slowly but surely.....will help with the depression but I won't be able to do much with this pain. I've gained a ton of weight and I feel embarrassed, humiliated and disgusted. And unhealthy.
Personally...I think I'm going to take the old Hummingbird out of the case for the first time in a year today....maybe see if I can still play acoustic haha...then I'm flying out to California to see some old friends, managers, bandmates...L.A. you know lol.....haven't been away from taking care of my mom for a couple of years now (a whole 'nother story that isn't helping with my mental health)....thanks!-Richie

Texan

I'm a new guy here, been lurking but never posted anything till now. This topic hits me very close as my wife has virtually the same issues.

Several years ago she had a laminectomy - fine and good for years. Then she developed degenerative disk disease (the discs between the vertebrae turn the consistency of Jello is a simple way of seeing it. She was in excruciating pain, I mean PAIN! She was prescribed oxycontin for pain, with hydrocone for breakthrough pain. After a year or so of that she was up to 80 mg. a day of oxycontin and was still in pain. She has about a 3 year memory lapse for that period. She was already taking meds for depression, and this whole thing made it worse.

After 3 years of that, she was finally approved for surgery for a lumbar spinal fusion. Her spine is held together by titanium rods and pins. Her pain is much better, but she still has to take an opioid. At least this opiate doesn't dope her up or make her high at all. It's called suboxone, and it has an ingredient that blocks the opioid high. She is able to function fairly well now, though she is still disabled. This whole episode has been very stressful for us both, but it's not more than one can take. She's living proof of that.

I also take depression meds and consider it one of the best decisions I have ever made to do so. I only wish I had started on them sooner. Depression is real and people who have never experienced it can't really understand. It is a deep black hole, but with help you can climb out of it and turn your back on it.

As for your guitars - they're only stuff when you get down to it. I know they have sentimental value, but don't put that value above other more important things. Hell, I'd be happy as hell to just have your '60 LP and the Junior!

Sorry for the long first post. Manage the pain as best you can, and treat the depression the best and most safely you can. And yes, cannabis will ease the pain and help you to sleep at night. Get a strain high in CBD. It's the pain killing ingredient of cannabis.

Best Wishes and Prayers

Andrward

<style type="text/css"><!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}</style>Best wishes fellow musician, when I saw screenshot from hospital with those rods I felt your pain and asked myself many questions. Hopefully it will not affect your life and quality of living, many guitarists move their head when are in the "mood". Maybe doctors had prescribed some pills for pain relief, I can't even imagine how do you sleep. So many questions are present, but it’s not that important now. Did you hear in past about kratom? Check and look what effects they have <style type="text/css"><!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}</style>enhanced kratom . No side effects and addictions, it can be something good for you, maybe no - for you to decide. Many people share positive feedback, and I’m one of them.

Last edited:

Dave P

Sorry to hear about dealing with so much pain. I myself have 24/7 pain issues as well, I've also pondered selling everything off. What bothers me most is when people do not take you seriously when dealing with pain, because pain is invisible. Frankly, todays approach to pain management is almost barbaric. I've spent tons of money doing physical therapy to manage pain, and it hasn't helped at all. Depression goes hand in hand with pain, some days it can be overwhelming and it's pretty hard not to be depressed about the situation. I'm not sure where I'm going with all this, except to say that I get what you are going through.

Foggy72

I understand the Parker Fly guitars are superlight and decent instruments. Mark Farner has back pain and he plays one.

Sorry that's all I got.

Andrward

This is a terrifying situation. Have you tried various physical exercises? To bring your body back to normal. For example, yoga classes would suit you. First, yoga strengthens the muscles. This is exactly what you need. Secondly, yoga calms the nerves. You said you were depressed. Well, yoga helps to get rid of depression. When my friend's mother died, he was also very depressed. But after a while he came across at https://yogapractice.com/yoga/yoga-poses-for-sciatica-pain-relief/. Since then, he has been practicing yoga every day. And now he feels good.

Last edited: