• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Debilitating Injury Pain 24/7 Has m questioning....

DEVILBAT

I love playing electric guitar. Absolutely am passionate. I love to play in bands; love to go to the guitar shows; buy a nice guitar every once in a while.
I've got quite a nice collection. Finally was able to buy a burst several years back. I love to play; I love to practice. I love to open a vintage case and breathe that smell.
Have some rare guitars; love them all.....ES 345's and 355's, Custom Teles, TV models, a fiesta strat....
pretty much anything that my guitar hero, Keith Richards, has played and owned....

Major problem- about 6 years ago, I was run over buy a truck while I was crossing the street. I was hospitalized and it was determined by several well respected New York surgeons that another injury could put me in a wheelchair for life. I had an operation called a cervical laminoplasty with fusion. There are titanium and cadaver (dead guy parts) rods and spacers my spine that is literally keeps me in pain, 24/7/365. I have had surgery by nuerosurgeons and orthopedic surgeons.
I'm currently on oxycodone immediate release and oxycontin, the extended release. I don't recommend it. I have tried everything else; acupuncture, physical therapy, rest, exercise (causes unbelieveable pain), Alexander technique...I'm extremely limited in what I can do anymore. I have numbness in my arm and tingling in my left hand and fingers. Torturous pain in my neck, radiating through my shoulders. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.
I suffer from major depressive disorder...I used to believe that depression was bullshit that one could pull oneself out of....
I couldn't be more wrong. I see a doctor and a therapist for that. More medication.....not really working.
I can deal with most of this. What I can't deal with is that it hurts me to play my guitar. My passion, it seems, puts me into more pain. I've played sitting down; the idea of a stand does not appeal to me. A Les Paul or even a tele around my neck for 45 minutes is excruciating. I've talked to my doctors. My case is an exception. Post operative pain only accounts for about 10% of people who have had this operation. That being said...I am grateful that I'm not paralyzed.
I'm at the point where I am seriously thinking of packing playing guitar in...stop playing guitar and sell my instruments.
I will keep the 1960 'burst just because it took me so long to get...over 40 years. And I do love owning it.
I'll keep my '59 Les Paul Junior...because it was and it the first "real" guitar I ever bought, back at Guitar Trader in the very early 1980s.
Looking at a collection of guitars that I put so much into and contemplating having to sell everything has got me in a real funk, too. t's almost too much to bear. It seems I have this feeling that I should sell what I am not using anymore; I just can't bring myself to do it, having trouble even with the idea of it.. especially with some of he more rare and one of a kind instruments (cherry '59 345's, mono 355's...beloved instruments.)

Basically, fellas and gals.....I am just here to spout out to other musicians. To guitarists, musicians, collectors and enthusiasts who understand what instruments can mean to a musician. A shrink doesn't recognize what an instrument can mean into a musician; you people do. A shrink will advise me to just "Let go." Easy for her to say.
Thanks for reading my rant.
Best-Richie

GJvbfAN.jpg

FULakm6.jpg

J.D.

Tough call on the playing. Maybe take a break for a bit.

Whatever you decide, one word of advice...beware of opioid pain killer addiction.

latestarter

DEVILBAT, my thoughts go out to you...I really understand what you mean about the joy these guitars bring us, and therefore I can imagine the sheer frustration and pain it would bring to have to give them up.

I can't imagine the pain you describe but it sounds bloody horrible. I really do hope, somehow, things improve. Enough to maybe keep hold of a few other special pieces.

All the best, take care, don't hurry anything. Grant

ourmaninthenorth

Richie, this is heavy metal.

Rather than a rant, I think it's an extremely lucid sharing of your not inconsiderable difficulties. I truly admire your candour.

I can't give advice, not qualified to do so. But I can share my own experiences, much more worthwhile I reckon.

The pain - it's real, impossible to live with unaided. JD has already pointed out the downside, but the alternative is impossible pain. From a real life conversation with one of my oldest friends, with similar pain levels to yourself, and a veteran in our own field of recovery..." I can take the decision to limit the opiate intake and subsequent dependence, but constantly have my other eye on the tallest building to throw myself off..." This is what pain does to people.

The depression - it's real, I know it is. I consider it to have equal footing with your physical pain. Along with your physical difficulties, It is survivable. Not easy, but possible.

From one guitar player to another...have a re-think on your instruments. I echo Grant's idea of taking your time - unless of course you need to liquidate...if that's the case..."if it were done, when 'tis done, then twere well it were done quickly..."

Rather humiliatingly, but to reciprocate your candour, I've had to liquidate. It's much easier done, than it is to live with...trust me on that. If you don't have to, I urge you not to.

Guitar playing - it's real.

If you ever need to let some steam off - to a stranger, throw me a PM. I've got good ears.

All the best.

Paul. :salude

corpse

Guitars are what we love- what would you use to fill that void?

I suffered from some extreme depression about two years after i got sober. The readers digest version is that i was kicking the shit out of myself for being depressed- if you follow. The odd thing was, once I accepted that i was depressed it pretty much vanished.
Opiates are something you need to live with the pain- real agonizing pain- and they are a depressant.

Keep a list of what you want to do today on the guitar, and do it for 15-20 minutes to avoid pain, and take a break and come back to it later.
This is the new you. The only one you have if I am not mistaken.

That line is very true- "Stare too long into the abyss and it starts to stare back". Not acknowledging the condition is a mistake- so is immersing yourself in it.

renderit

If you can, keep what brings you joy. Best of luck. Pain sucks. In any form.

jhmp

DB, my heart goes out to you. Sometimes time can help, so dont get rid of to much to quick and maybe a light weight old Danelectro with a nice wide neck will become your best friend on the couch for a while. Thoughts and prayers... I know you already have, but hang tough!
Keep us up to date.

DEVILBAT

Richie, this is heavy metal.

Rather than a rant, I think it's an extremely lucid sharing of your not inconsiderable difficulties. I truly admire your candour.

I can't give advice, not qualified to do so. But I can share my own experiences, much more worthwhile I reckon.

The pain - it's real, impossible to live with unaided. JD has already pointed out the downside, but the alternative is impossible pain. From a real life conversation with one of my oldest friends, with similar pain levels to yourself, and a veteran in our own field of recovery..." I can take the decision to limit the opiate intake and subsequent dependence, but constantly have my other eye on the tallest building to throw myself off..." This is what pain does to people.

The depression - it's real, I know it is. I consider it to have equal footing with your physical pain. Along with your physical difficulties, It is survivable. Not easy, but possible.

From one guitar player to another...have a re-think on your instruments. I echo Grant's idea of taking your time - unless of course you need to liquidate...if that's the case..."if it were done, when 'tis done, then twere well it were done quickly..."

Rather humiliatingly, but to reciprocate your candour, I've had to liquidate. It's much easier done, than it is to live with...trust me on that. If you don't have to, I urge you not to.

Guitar playing - it's real.

If you ever need to let some steam off - to a stranger, throw me a PM. I've got good ears.

All the best.

Paul. :salude

Thanks, Paul- I believe that I hinted in my original post that I do indeed have a problem with the opiates; I had been sober for several years...I LOVED cocaine and alcohol...I have not relapsed on coke mainly because I am piss tested for the drug at pain management and I know that it's not a good thing to do at any age, but especially at my age (over 50) also...most of my old crew are gone....I don't get out much...you really see who your friends are when A)you become sober and B)if you get hurt or sick......I don't blame any relapse on the injury.....but, yea, as far as covering up the pain ( and face it , I know; these drugs don't CURE any pain at all, they merely mask it; the drugs merely cover the pain....but, and this is another quagmire....these drugs really do help me with the pain; no doubt. But...yea...I do go into a withdrawal if I don't take them daily. I take take them as prescribed; but, I spend sleepless nights in absolute pain, thinking I should "kick" just because I don't want all this shit in my body..., only to wake up with withdrawal symptoms in addition to the excruciating pain. Another thing that freaks me out is that I do not need any problems with the law. I am certainly NOT impaired if I drive to a doctor or a grocery....but there are legal prescriptions in my body most of the time. With all of the hoopla over the "opiod crisis" ( think it's a fentenal crisis, but thats another story)...boy...fetanyl patches....stay away from them! They made me positively feel evil/deathlike....I threw them right away. My pain management doc and my shrink are aware of my concerns.....anyway...somebody could hit my car in the rear and I understand all the police have to do is suspect that one may be have taken a legal prescription...they don't care...you will be arrested, but I'm projecting here.....oh yea...we were talking guitars,too.....well....it hurts...I'm going to hang in there and do what I've been told so many times "Take things one day at a time"....thanks for listening! xoxo-RR

DEVILBAT

Guitars are what we love- what would you use to fill that void?

I suffered from some extreme depression about two years after i got sober. The readers digest version is that i was kicking the shit out of myself for being depressed- if you follow. The odd thing was, once I accepted that i was depressed it pretty much vanished.
Opiates are something you need to live with the pain- real agonizing pain- and they are a depressant.

Keep a list of what you want to do today on the guitar, and do it for 15-20 minutes to avoid pain, and take a break and come back to it later.
This is the new you. The only one you have if I am not mistaken.

That line is very true- "Stare too long into the abyss and it starts to stare back". Not acknowledging the condition is a mistake- so is immersing yourself in it.

Thanks for the kind understanding, especially regarding the major depression....
I think you make a good point...possibly start again slow and see how long I can play un pain steps in....I could possibly build mmy body and tolerance to acceptable levels...Thanks!-RR

ourmaninthenorth

Thanks, Paul- I believe that I hinted in my original post that I do indeed have a problem with the opiates; I had been sober for several years...I LOVED cocaine and alcohol...I have not relapsed on coke mainly because I am piss tested for the drug at pain management and I know that it's not a good thing to do at any age, but especially at my age (over 50) also...most of my old crew are gone....I don't get out much...you really see who your friends are when A)you become sober and B)if you get hurt or sick......I don't blame any relapse on the injury.....but, yea, as far as covering up the pain ( and face it , I know; these drugs don't CURE any pain at all, they merely mask it; the drugs merely cover the pain....but, and this is another quagmire....these drugs really do help me with the pain; no doubt. But...yea...I do go into a withdrawal if I don't take them daily. I take take them as prescribed; but, I spend sleepless nights in absolute pain, thinking I should "kick" just because I don't want all this shit in my body..., only to wake up with withdrawal symptoms in addition to the excruciating pain. Another thing that freaks me out is that I do not need any problems with the law. I am certainly NOT impaired if I drive to a doctor or a grocery....but there are legal prescriptions in my body most of the time. With all of the hoopla over the "opiod crisis" ( think it's a fentenal crisis, but thats another story)...boy...fetanyl patches....stay away from them! They made me positively feel evil/deathlike....I threw them right away. My pain management doc and my shrink are aware of my concerns.....anyway...somebody could hit my car in the rear and I understand all the police have to do is suspect that one may be have taken a legal prescription...they don't care...you will be arrested, but I'm projecting here.....oh yea...we were talking guitars,too.....well....it hurts...I'm going to hang in there and do what I've been told so many times "Take things one day at a time"....thanks for listening! xoxo-RR

I regret not being nearer, we could do a meeting or two. I could show you some Olympic standard coffee drinking.

Personally if I didn't have to sit in another bloody meeting for the rest of my days, it couldn't come too soon, but strangely listening to other people's recovery strategies - who by en large I can't stand the bloody sight of - seems to help.

One day at a time is cool, I know from personal experience it sometimes boils down to an hour at a time. I'm 21 years in continous recovery come November btw. It's etched in every line on my face. I'm as strong as a horse, I've had to be to keep the darkness at bay.

Stay as cool as you can Richie.

:salude

corpse

I regret not being nearer, we could do a meeting or two. I could show you some Olympic standard coffee drinking.

Personally if I didn't have to sit in another bloody meeting for the rest of my days, it couldn't come too soon, but strangely listening to other people's recovery strategies - who by en large I can't stand the bloody sight of - seems to help.

One day at a time is cool, I know from personal experience it sometimes boils down to an hour at a time. I'm 21 years in continous recovery come November btw. It's etched in every line on my face. I'm as strong as a horse, I've had to be to keep the darkness at bay.

Stay as cool as you can Richie.

Ditto- except a couple (thousand) days more.
I go to three a week- cringing through parts. But I love many of those people as much as family. They are fine examples, and Lord knows I need examples. We don't do this shit alone.

ourmaninthenorth

Ditto- except a couple (thousand) days more.
I go to three a week- cringing through parts. But I love many of those people as much as family. They are fine examples, and Lord knows I need examples. We don't do this shit alone.

That we don't, that I can't.

Steady as she goes Pal's.

Tim

Doesn't this require drilling a hole in the lower bout/horn ? :hmm :wow :wah

It does, but I bet the concept could be adapted somehow where the stock location could be used. Maybe take a rod with eye holes on each end, remove the stock strap lock and use the stock screw to attach the rod to the guitar with some felt under it. Then attach the other end of the rod to the strap. Just thinking out loud, but I bet there's a way to make it work with the stock location.

Cliff Gress

Medical marijuana helps some with pain. And I understand there are drops that don't contain THC but provide pain relief. Sorry about your situation man.

Zentar

Sell some of your guitars to fund a home Jacuzzi. Heat may help joint pain.
Floating in a pool takes weight off the spine.

deytookerjaabs

I'd try damn near everything before ditching an instrument. Heck, I know a fella who plays with a guitar stand just because he likes it that way. But, being in NYC I'd contact the various music departments from NYU to Julliard to see if anyone recommends specific musician therapists. There's a lot of ways to strap on the guitar too I'd imagine.

It's a completely different scenario but, for me, heat is one hell of a relief from a sock filled with rice to a hot tub. I went through a year of traditional "Therapy" when I had great insurance and it did nothing. The electrode stuff with rub on steroids, the exercises, massages, etc. It seems a lot of people who play with pain have to find their own unique way to heal/cope.

Also, don't forget, there's SO MUCH you can do to practice without picking up the instrument. Ear Training, mental to written dictation, composing, theory, fretboard visualizations of chords/scales/keys/etc, mental improvisation, etc. Wes Montgomery used to talk about how important everything he did was when he wasn't touching the guitar, learning tunes in his head while at the movie theater, running through solos mentally, and all sorts of other methods of thinking through music before playing it. Heck, maybe clunking some chords out on the keys would be good therapy too.

Have you tried one of these? I would get the weight off your shoulder and put it around your waist -

Slinger Straps HIP STRAP Guitar Strap

I forget how it worked or what it was called but in the 60's Fender put out some strap that was similar, like a belt buckle attachment, I'm guessing very few were made!

Triburst

Devilbat, I'm so sorry you're having this problem.

I don't know if it will help, but I saw a fascinating article about new research on the brain and the way out of pain in my Twitter feed the other day. I looked it up and linked it here: https://aeon.co/essays/to-treat-back-pain-look-to-the-brain-not-the-spine

A friend of mine with back pain tells me that if he skips a few weeks going to the gym, it comes back with a vengance. If he goes and stays toned, he's basically normal.

I'd sure look into light, weight-relieved, guitars, too. A nine-pound Les Paul pulling on one side of your shoulder for a few hours can't be good for that condition.

I hope you're able to make it work out.

GeraintGuitar

Whatever you decide, one word of advice...beware of opioid pain killer addiction.

I second this....THIS is where im at , I used to just take some before i did a gig or rehearsed , But now i just take handfulls pain or no pain !
you see after a while the dose your on will stop working and you'll feel the need for a higher dose and so on and so on

Then your mental state will be affected and they WILL pull you down and add to your depression !

huh i aint gonna ramble but KEEP YOUR GUITARS thier gonna be the thing keeps you going, thier an extension of your body , mind and soul

I wish you all the best mate and keep us up to date and KEEP TALKING , NEVER keep this shit to yourself