• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Dating a Les Paul Custom

Mickeyrouse

The first digit of the serial number indicates the year. :salude
The problem is that this guitar, which I acquired in '79, has been refinished at least twice before I acquired it. I had seen the guitar around a local studio since '71, so I have personal knowledge of it for over 45 years. It apparently was a 3 pickup model and there were signs, when we refinished it in 2011 (yet again) , that it was originally black, though one pickup cavity had been filled in to make it a two-holer.
One of the prior refinishers removed the serial number. Date codes on the pots imply 1957 manufacture, and though the hardware has been the same since '71 prox, I would like to ascertain its age by not relying on removable accessories. The top is mahogany, and as yet I have found no sign of lamination. Since it was re-finished as a Black Beauty, it is not presently possible to examine neck construction.
Where I am on this is trying to pursue the differences on the control cavity of 1957-61 as compared to the '68 reissues, and trying to determine if the '57-61 Customs were issued in anything other than 3 pickup models, and whether the '68 reissues only came in two pickup models.

Last edited:

Mickeyrouse

Not trying to come off as an ass$ole.

But...

Pics will/would have to be more detailed-clearer than that.

Hz7GvwRh.jpg

GXC6r5ph.jpg
Wouldn't that be nice? These were taken 10 yrs ago...best we can do.

Mickeyrouse

You want opinions or advice about what to look at but won't post updated pics..

Ok, Good luck.
The guitar at present is in Houston...I'm in Beaumont. Not exactly convenient at the moment for pics. I don't really care what it is... I know for sure it is '70 latest. Current pics by themselves will not be very informative- they only show what it looks like after mods and the latest re-finish.

Mickeyrouse

I hate seen a nice guitar hacked up and cobbed up like that .
Kinda heartbreaking, isn't it? That was under the red candy apple finish when I got it in '79. It has been essentially restored, Back to the original (I think) Black Beauty finish, though as a two pickup model. Does anyone know if the '68 re-issues were offered in three PU options? I know they were later, including the present.

Peteyvee2

Not sure about 3 pickups ever being offered on a '68 (and I doubt it unless it was a special order), but I do know that the headstock pitch changed from 17º on the 50s customs to 14º on the '68s...if you can't get pics have someone measure the headstock pitch. That will tell you for sure.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
attachment.php

I'm still seeing a maple top in this photo.
Got another photo of the top clearly showing mahogany? :hmm

Wally

+1 with Tom. That is a maple top, imho. There is not much 'dish' to that carve, either.