• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

New Choices for the Deluxe Reverb

DrRobert

Les Paul Forum Member
I got a chance to play the new 64 DR HW amp on Wednesday. It sounds like a really good vintage DR (at least in the shop)-sweet and quiet. I really like that they've gone with the bias modulating trem, always felt that sounded better than the LDR roach and it's easier to make quiet (no thump). Seems like a no-brainer... EXCEPT that Sweetwater has partnered with Rivera to build the modded 68 DR Custom-which gives you a bunch of other choices for the bright channel, including a master volume and presence-sort of like the modded Fenders you could buy from Rivera (Valley Arts?) back in the day. And of course, Sebago Sound will give you an Ultraphonix or ODS modded DR for a little more money. So, if you had $3k burning a hole in your pocket, which one would you choose? Not that I'm looking:laugh2:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Rivera68Dlx
http://www.guitarworld.com/gear-new...d-64-custom-blackface-deluxe-reverb-amp/31405
http://www.sebagosound.com

corpse

Tone king- Metropolis or whatever one Greg Koch is playing in those demos.
Or for that matter buy two 1968 silver face DR- they wear like iron- you can't kill them.
And stick $600 in your pocket for some cool pedals.

sonar

I wrote a thread about it earlier this morning, yet when I submitted I got a "Waiting for mod approval..." I've been a member here since 2000 and freakin' 3!

Anyway, I'm intrigued with the new DR and if it sounds like the old ones I'd hit it, IF I needed one - which I don't. I've already got 6 vintage and clone Fenders, which makes me wonder if the market Fender is tryng to tap (ie, "me") is already taken care of with old BF/SF Fender? There are a lot of the old DR's out there and like mentioned, you can't kill them if you tried.

DrRobert

Les Paul Forum Member
It's interesting that they've (he 64HW) already got a fairly positive reaction on TGP. There's one guy there that already owns two of them! But yeah, i'm not really the right demographic either. Unless one sells used for $1k. That might intrigue me...

RocknRollShakeUp

To throw another slightly more economical, but very well reputed, alternative in the mix, the Vintage Sound 22 is a great boutique DR type amp with some added features (mids knob, reverb dwell control, diaz based tremolo mod, etc). All hand made (USA), PTP wiring, and great quality components. No affiliation with the company, but I have one, love it, and thought I'd spread the word.