• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Wah issue?

dbalu

Hello,
I own a Vox V848 clyde mccoy wah, and it starts squealing like mad when i use it with other pedals, but on clean it is ok. Even with a tubescreamer set as light as possible it still squeals, some sort of microphonics from hell. I tried powering it with a battery while the rest of effects are powered via a daisy chain, but the problem persists. Did anyone have this issue with their wah pedal and managed ti fix it?

Yelly

Couple of initial possibilities.
Could be your pups are slightly microphonics. Wahs can tip them over the edge. I've had this happen with Custombuckers on an R9. Most likely to happen with wah toe down.
Other option is a microphonics inductor in your wah. Take the bottom off your way and have a tap round with a pencil. Be aware a microphonics inductor will pick up knocks on the whole board as well. You might be lucky and be able to cure it by tightening the bolt that holds the inductor to the board.

Don

Does the wah squeal in its whole sweep or mostly toe down or heel down?

dbalu

I use Seymour Duncan humbuckers and they haven't been tampered with, so I tend to believe it's not due to the pickups, the phenomenon occured also with my Ibanez, with stock pickups and also after swapping those out too.
Thanks for the advice, as soon as i remember the squeal starts at about 1/3rd of a sweep, but as soon as I get home in about a week or two i'll test it out and will pay more attention to this, also i'll try tapping the inductor. If tightening the screw won't do the trick should i give the inductor a wax bath? I read somewhere that sometimes inductors need to be wax potted like pickups.

Thanks for the advice guys, any other opinions/suggestions are welcome!