• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Tolex and Glue

jhmp

For long term repair, what is the glue of choice for lifted edges and seams?

ourmaninthenorth

E6912_850044_00

Wally

A water-based contact cement is the best choice if doing large covering jobs. Here is a tutorial of new covering.....with his reasons for NOT using a contact cement like the one above.
http://guitarkitbuilder.com/how-apply-tolex-guitar-amplifier-cabinet/

But....Elmer's white glue is great for doing minor repairs. IT is also good for full covering jobs. Fender used animal-based glues for their amps back in the day....and may still do so.

Wally

That Heavy Duty stuff there is another tuolene-based glue. good for huffing freaks, I suppose.

ourmaninthenorth

A water-based contact cement is the best choice if doing large covering jobs. Here is a tutorial of new covering.....with his reasons for NOT using a contact cement like the one above.
http://guitarkitbuilder.com/how-apply-tolex-guitar-amplifier-cabinet/

But....Elmer's white glue is great for doing minor repairs. IT is also good for full covering jobs. Fender used animal-based glues for their amps back in the day....and may still do so.

Yep, fumes are a big problem with non-water based stuff. But for tiny repairs, I'd choose it. Miles vary.

jhmp

Thanks for the options, I assumed something other than water based due to humidity, beer, cleaning and conditioning.

ourmaninthenorth

Thanks for the options, I assumed something other than water based due to humidity, beer, cleaning and conditioning.

What amp or cab are you repairing mate?

The water based thing is interesting...I've lost count of how many cabs I've seen Jeff Lewis of Matamp make from scratch where he's used PVA to glue the tolex. Loads of slip time, puts it on with a roller, uses a caulk blade to smooth the bubbles, and a heat gun on the corners.

I once made the mistake of asking him why PVA ( anyone who knows Jeff will understand that the adjective verbose was invented for him...specifically...:laugh2: ) three days later, and without him taking a single breath, it basically boiled down to health and safety fumage issues in the factory.

I've never seen the tolex come off one of his cabs, ever.

Here's a couple of Series 2000 cabs he made for me, that jumper was clean on at the start of the day....:hee

DSCF02201.jpg

Last edited:

Wally

Don't look now, but all of those high dollar Fender vintage amps were done with animal-based glues.
IF I were worried about beer or other liquids, I would simply spray pickup bed liner on the cab and disregard the aesthetics.
Now, where is that guy who re-invented the wheel and made it square so the car would not roll downhill if the driver forgot to apply the parking brake and turn the wheels into the curb when parking????? eeeehaw.....
Patch it up anyway you want. I know what works for me. A dab of white wood glue and 1 minute and I am done.

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
There is no reason to assume a water based glue won't stand up to humidity or beer.

Acrylic (water based products) often outperform old-school chemical based products in several uses. They are usually inert after drying and can stay flexible which avoids shrinkage, cracking, and other problems.

For the record,I use what ever is lying around for simple small tolex repairs. Most often that's titebond.

jhmp

That is the kind of feedback I need.
My '61 super needs a bit of TLC and a few cases that would appreciate some attention as well.
I want them to look as great as they sound.

Too bad none of the pictures loaded...