• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Switching amps on via multi-outlet?

fakejake

All my pedals and amps are connected to a multi outlet with an on/ off switch. Since I'm lazy, the switches on all my gear are 'on' all the time (including my tube amps). When I sit down to play, I just switch on the single multi outlet switch. Is there any potential damage from that practice, especially to the amps (Champ, Princeton, Deluxe)?
Thanks!

sonar

Good topic.

Quality wall warts are pretty cheap nowadays. It's worth a purchase.

Dunno what your electricity is like at your place. Mine isn't great, so a Voodoo Lab powers supply for pedals and a wall wart for the amp and VL.

Any benefit getting a power conditioner like a Furman?

fakejake

I didn't mean a wall wart, rather something like this:
9k=

6197eglanhL._SY450_.jpg

So my tube amp is on and plugged in all the time (as is my voodoo labs powering the pedalboard), and when I play I just switch the outlet on.
I'm worried that the sudden onset of power might damage parts of the amp, and that the amp is really designed to be turned on by its own switch, which might result in a different, slower power onset? I have no clue about this stuff, but with the recent thread of the reverb unit left on for weeks this worry came to my mind...
Cheers

guitplayer

I`d make sure the tube amps w/ a standby are on standby. Leaving them
"on"... and turned on via the power strip should be OK.