• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Bacchus Clapton Explorer

DrRobert

Les Paul Forum Member
I've hesitated to post this, because I'm not a huge fan of copy guitars. But it's pretty cools so... Apparently Bacchus made a small number of "cut" Explorer copies, maybe 15, out of Korina with fairly accurate details-long neck tenon, correct pick guard and so on. I had a chance to compare it to the 59 Explorer that Dave's has yesterday and I was fairly impressed. The body shape seems really good, neck angle seems on, headstock done right, plastic and metal parts seem good. The Whizz pickups are a bit louder than the originals. The frets seem just a hair bigger and the setup that Dan Erlewine's shop did makes it play very nicely. On the downside it came with the most hilariously heinous gig bag I've ever seen (vinyl with almost no padding). Anyway, turns out to be a nice guitar. Oh, and with the cut horn it's lighter than the real thing!

fxuhbd7cmlktusq8mcu3.jpg

Unbound Dot Neck

A buddy has a older Bacchus Tele, Gold / double bound , body

really nice ~ work and sound

:jim

deytookerjaabs

Nice!

Yeah, funny how that "not much for clones" thing works and then one day ya pick up a great guitar at a decent price......

Joewildbonsai

Great deal....I think under 25 made!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hard to find!!!!!
great price for those big big upgrades! I'm a lil' envious, I'm not shure if the Japan dealears do export to EU right now (rosewood)

Bacchus rules!!! here's my 1991 58 Korina Flying V under 6 lbs!!! No#1 gigging guitar, okay massive upgrades (pickups, electric), but it is a tonemonster

.......and another korina
1990 Orville by Gibson Explorer also a killer

have a nice weekend!
:hippy

Last edited:

DrRobert

Les Paul Forum Member
I'm OK with clones in most cases as long as they're not pretending to be what they're not. Since this clearly says "Bacchus" on the headstock, I'm very comfortable with it. Even more so because it is modeled after the Clapton version that I don't think Gibson has redone? And I've owned some Japanese "lawsuit" guitars without feeling the least bit bad:)

And yeah, the thing on the back of the headstock is a decal under the paint, I think.

fred dons

Bacchus does make some great guitars at a very reasonable price level, I have a korina V and a whitewashed mahogany single cut carved top special, got both of them around USD 500 and the quality really surprised me, I still cringe at the fact that EC cut his explorer up but the Bacchus you showed almost makes me want to have one ((o:

DrRobert

Les Paul Forum Member
There seems to be even less information out there about this guitar than most of Eric's. I'd heard that it was cut down by one of the Allman brothers, but I've found no evidence for that. It's rumored that he bought it at Axis music thinking it was original, but no sources are quoted. It's also rumored elsewhere that he dropped it and had it modded after it was damaged-again, no primary sources. I just think it looks cool. And it certainly plays well. I've seen one pic of the original and it seems to be a darker color than most Korina guitars?

JJ Blair

Really gorgeous fiddle.

I bought some Wiz pups, and didn't really dig them or think they were very PAF-ish. Would up putting them in a guitar that I sold.

bursty

found this very OLD thread by accident on a Google search

Bacchus X four :)
Korina types 3.jpg

Bacchus all hog
BEX-58M custom order.jpg

ch willie

If they play well, they sound good, and they do look good, they are as good as you could wish for. I have a Gibson Explorer. I love it, but I learned a while back that the label on the headstock makes little difference as far as its level of kewl.