• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Pup Replacement - wiring?

chasenblues

has the guitar got push/pull pots? (is it a 4 conductor pickup)

Going by the specs listed on the Gibson page yes it does and more.

New push-pull knurled knobs: Decidedly modern in its chrome appointments, the HP model stands out instantly compared to its more traditional counterpart.

Complete Tone Control: 2 volumes, 2 tones, 1 toggle with push-pull and DIP switch giving you incomparable control over your tone.

I want to replace the bridge pup in my Les Paul Classic 2017 HP with a Dimarzio AT-1. Is the wiring a direct one to one replacement? What do I need to know?

Going by the look inside the control cavity, No it wouldn't be a direct drop in. You have to have to get the correct type leads/connector to attach to the pickup leads so you could plug the pickup into the pcb board.

hp-control-cavity-2-3312c4c0.jpg

GeraintGuitar

hmmm not a simple job
i wonder how easy connecting a quick connecter plug to the end of a standerd 4 wire (5 including gnd) pickup is going to be
i hav'nt much expierence with quick connecters in guitars but i have with connecters in other things ,thier the same type of connecters you find in most electronic devices like amps etc.......

the actual connecter comes apart , its like a little clamp that holds the wires firmly in place and then pushes on to the pins on pcb

it can be done , but you'll need the wiring colour code for the new pickup plus the gibson wire colour code
but thier easy to find on the web

Last edited:

Antigua

I want to replace the bridge pup in my Les Paul Classic 2017 HP - Gold Top with a Dimarzio AT-1. Is the wiring a direct one to one replacement? What do I need to know?

http://www.dimarzio.com/node/2191

Are you sure the Dimarzio AT-1 will represent a great improvement? Normally I'd say 'why not?' but when there is this much hassle involved, I'd have to seriously ask how much the 57 Classic and DiMarzio really differ, tonewise.

If you're sure enough that it's worth the hassle, I'd clip the pickup leads about two inches from the molex connectors, carefully strip the ends, and and join the DiMarzio to the reaming two inches of wire attached to the connector, using this wiring color chart to map the DiMarzio to Gibson http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/the-tone-garage/humbucker-wire-color-translation , I'm not sure if the chart is accurate as of 2017, but I'd guess it probably still is. I'd then use thin heat shrink tubing to isolate the soldered wires, as it looks good and electrical tape tends to not work so well when joining small wires.

GeraintGuitar

Are you sure the Dimarzio AT-1 will represent a great improvement? Normally I'd say 'why not?' but when there is this much hassle involved, I'd have to seriously ask how much the 57 Classic and DiMarzio really differ, tonewise.

If you're sure enough that it's worth the hassle, I'd clip the pickup leads about two inches from the molex connectors, carefully strip the ends, and and join the DiMarzio to the reaming two inches of wire attached to the connector, using this wiring color chart to map the DiMarzio to Gibson http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/the-tone-garage/humbucker-wire-color-translation , I'm not sure if the chart is accurate as of 2017, but I'd guess it probably still is. I'd then use thin heat shrink tubing to isolate the soldered wires, as it looks good and electrical tape tends to not work so well when joining small wires.

^ Thats the best and easist way to do it

doing it this way is just as easy as soldering in a pickup with a regular wiring harness really
just snip and strip as mentioned above , twist wire strands then twist the wires your joining together and put a bit of solder on the join
but dont forget the shrink tubing!

so if you REALLY want that pickup then go for it