The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
LilyPix
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
    Les Paul Forum Member

The Epi "PAF" tone Quest

Theres much confusion over the "PAF TONE" most people asume its just about pickups and thats true if you have a descent lump of tone wood to start with (ie a GOOD RESONATE gibson,which not all of them are)
    gibsons so called weight relief is bullshit its more about tryin to make crap wood resonate and have better acoustic property than weight!! and it does to be fair kinda help...kind of
    you see that "PAF" tone you hear on your fav old recordings was not just about paf pickups , it was the whole package ,A all round good guitar (wood,pickups and electronics) and VERY good tube amp cranked!
    (you guys with real vintage or historic guitars and a good tube amp are good to go on this)
    for those tryin to get that paf tone on a budget , your gonna have to better than sticking a pair gibson pickups in a epi and plugging into your fav solid state practice amp . Sooo on to what i did.......(coming soon gotta shoot)

Les Paul Forum Member

Re: The Epi "PAF" tone Quest

I purchased the Epiphone 1960 Tribute plus ,which features (and i checked these by pulling the whole thing apart) a long neck tenon , a REAL maple cap (the only epi lp that does )with a AAA veneer on top to make it look pretty and real gibson 57 classic and 57 classic+ pickups , all for £400 ! normal retail price £570
    so i plugged it in and sounded alright for a epi but still no where near a good gibson and it never will because the woods ...well dead and covered in that nasty plastic like finish which also kills tone (looks good though)
    Theres nothing i could do about the wood but what i could do was replace the cheap nut and bridge and rip out that nasty chinese electronics and replace them good qaulity pots ,caps , braided wire and 50s wiring.
    The results shocked me it really opened them pickups up
    oh yeah and swithed the alnico2s for 5s for a bit more bite
    the guitar sounds great its got bags of tone
    Last edited by GeraintGuitar; 09-06-17 at 05:10 AM.

I'm glad you're happy with it, but folks have been doing exactly what you did for the past 50 years...

Would love to hear some clips.
    'then she made me play games I didn't wanna play...'
    Fer fux sake! Duane's left and Dickey's right!

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Triplet View Post
    I'm glad you're happy with it, but folks have been doing exactly what you did for the past 50 years...

Would love to hear some clips.
    im sorry, i wasnt very clear on my post , i got side tracked thats why it was in 2 halfs and i didn't really get my point across (because i waffle aswell)
    With respect im well aware of the old "get a epi and upgrade everything and you turn it into a gibson" mod,
    My point is ,I took the highest spec epi available at the momment(its the only model with a solid maple cap) and upgraded everything and still didnt "get "a gibson les paul
    Its a very good guitar now but sounds a lot darker than a gibson les paul and imo doesnt play aswell
    so in a way im debunking the turn a epi into gibson myth
    But having said that i have a very good les paul type guitar for £400 inc hard case
    id be happy to post some clips of what it sounds like, what do you wanna hear it do? some blues ? or rock?........

Les Paul Forum Member jbzoso2002's Avatar

I have an Epiphone 60's tribute plus.

I have replaced the wiring with 50's braided push back wire in
    the 50's wiring schematic, Sozo tone caps Seymour Duncan Antiquities
    with replaced magnets.

A historic bridge on conversion posts, a light weight aluminum tail piece
    bone nut and regular Grovers.

It sounds very good and very close to my 58 2009 reissue Gibson
    that I had to sell.

When I am playing Im not missing any tone, playability or enjoyment.

I would rather have the Gibson but damn this Epi delivers BIG TIME!!!

Jimmy
    ​It will be mine......oh yes, it will be mine.

Les Paul Forum Member

awsome man
    Im glad someone else is enjoying these fine guitars! they do have a great vintage vibe don't they ?
    yours is more "modded" than mine and sounds like its killer
    as you can tell im a bit conflicted on mine , ive gotta kinda love/hate thing going on with it.
    i played it last night and loved it