• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Broken Truss Rod Fix

XPO29

I just noticed that my 57 junior truss rod doesn't seem to have any more travel for the nut to adjust the neck? Does this mean I have to replace the rod? I saw where Dan Erlewine fixed this type of problem on an old acoustic with half moon washers. Has anyone here had similar problem and fixed it this way? Is this a permanent fix or is the truss rod shot. The guitar was refinned at some point, don't know if that would be a factor. Thanks.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Washers will possibly do the fix IF the nut has run out of thread.
If you are not certain, take it to a professional repairman who is skilled in truss rod adjustments for old Gibsons.

TM1

I've fixed a few guitars with the 1/2 moon washers. Usually works really well.

P.Walker

Ah truss rods...

For fenders, some players make up the space for the compressed wood with metal washers. The point is to "recover" lost turns on the lost threads. For gibsons, another barbed washer can be used.

It is still not the complete solution though. If you look at a truss rod, there are plenty of threads to be engaged that lost threads aren't the real issue. It does make it easier to tighten however, so it does treat the symptom in a way.

The bigger problem is that the neck might be too bowed (maybe very dry conditions) for the teeny weeny truss rod to counteract and thus the rod has to do a lot of the work to straighten out the neck. Usually the barbed wire or the anchor at the other end ends up compressing the surrounding wood and the rod will extrude above the nut- to what degree seems acceptable can be verified with a photo.

The good thing is that it's a guitar and everything to an extent is fixable more or less- even the neck itself.

EDIT: in the meanwhile, check this thread: http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/s...eck-slipping&p=2740110&highlight=#post2740110

And as a golden rule, if the truss rod is intact, but the luthier is hell bent on replacing the rod, run away. No luthier worth his money will rip out an intact truss rod like that. The rod itself is ever rarely a problem.