• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Shaping up to be a great weekend...

JB83

About a year ago, I picked up a really great 1959 Les Paul Junior from a local pawn shop. It's everything you could want in a junior-light, amazing range of tones on the p90, and a big 59 neck shape. Despite that, and because of the tones Keith Urban gets, I've had a single cut Junior on my radar as well-namely one before the bridge got further away from the pickup. Well, on Thursday I took delivery of this 1956 beauty. It's unmistakably a junior, but that bridge placement really makes it a different beast from my 59. The 56 is of course a little more trebly, but in a good way. It stays more distinct under heavy distortion than my 59. It also has a slightly more acoustic-guitar quality when volume and tone are rolled back. And it has a kind of beefed up telecaster snap to it.

Now to the neck-I was worried at first that the 56 neck would be too chunky, but couldn't have been more wrong. It's full-probably as deep as the 59-but it has an amazing soft v-shape to it that makes it feel substantially smaller than the 59. The 59 is really like a bat cut in half, where the 56 is that soft v transitionaing to a c around fret 9. Ones not better than the other-they both feel like your favorite worn in jeans when you pick them up. Anyway here are some pics-two vintage juniors and a long weekend at the lake (with some fly fishing thrown in). Gonna be hard to go back to work.
RenderedContent-AE92E7A2-33BF-46D6-9E22-ED0CD74BBCB6.jpg
RenderedContent-67559B88-3FA4-489C-8545-7620D60B516D.jpg
RenderedContent-2D4D0A08-73FF-4885-B5C5-3646B6A78651.jpgRenderedContent-D7F940FE-1BF7-4784-AE32-4256D2E1F3B6.jpgRenderedContent-EC316182-C355-42FD-BAE1-1979C1E80400.jpg

renderit

Looks to be in very great shape as well! I need one but have not been in the same room with "the one" yet. Smashing!

DrRobert

Les Paul Forum Member
They look to be in incredible shape! I don't have the experience of others here, but I understand that there's quite a variation in sound/feel between the same "type" of Jr. The story was that Leslie West and Vintage Guitar mag had him play a bunch of Jrs and when it was all said and done he ended up liking a double-cut best even though he'd always said the single-cuts were better.

JB83

They look to be in incredible shape! I don't have the experience of others here, but I understand that there's quite a variation in sound/feel between the same "type" of Jr. The story was that Leslie West and Vintage Guitar mag had him play a bunch of Jrs and when it was all said and done he ended up liking a double-cut best even though he'd always said the single-cuts were better.

Thanks! The 59 is original except for the jack plate and strap pins. The 56 is completely original, but has a really old headstock repair. As long as you're buying these to keep, finding original examples with well-done repairs is a no-brained for me.