• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

The Boss Katana amp line, WOW!

jbzoso2002

Ive had a pair of Boss Katana 1x12 combo's (50watt and 100watt) for
a couple months or so now.

These amps sound, feel, react, anything you can say,
exactly as a tube amp does.

Ive had some very cool tube amps (Marshall clones since 2005) and
they are all gone and Im never getting another.

The price point is nuts! I would pay twice as much or more.

If you are looking for a throw in the car and gig amp, check
these out.

Oh by the way the effects are great too.

Jimmy

Big Al

I think they offer major bang for the buck and massive utility. I don't find them to sound very tube amp sounding or to have that tube amp reactive feeling though. They stand on their own as good sounding guitar amps and show yet again how useful and great sounding non tube solidstate guitar amps can be. Not to mention lighter, more road worthy and virtually maintenance free.

jbzoso2002

I think they offer major bang for the buck and massive utility. I don't find them to sound very tube amp sounding or to have that tube amp reactive feeling though. They stand on their own as good sounding guitar amps and show yet again how useful and great sounding non tube solidstate guitar amps can be. Not to mention lighter, more road worthy and virtually maintenance free.

I agree, but the one thing that jumps out at me is these amps are just damn fun to play.

Next Friday night I get to test it in a band situation, I hope it works as good as
I think it will.

I will be a hell on a lot easier to move and setup that's for sure.

Jimmy

sonar

Nothing is more underrated with amps than the fun factor. I've played a few amps over the years that might not have been the best tone machines, but they put a smile on my face when I plugged in and ripped away.

RocknRollShakeUp

Ive got one and I love it! Ive got the 1x12 100 watt and I can get it to sound pretty damn tube like! I use 15watt all tube combos, and I got the katana for a low volume practice amp at home so I dont burn tubes for nothing but Ive been amazed how good it can sound! I think one can use it to gig with no problem!

Most demo it for its brown sound, so here's a quick youtube video I did for someone that wanted to know if it can do a punchy yet clean rockabily sound. So I faked it and quickly busted out some bad, wannabe, rockabilly type runs (my timing really goes to shit near the end as I'm realizing I don't know what the hell I'm doing!), but for what it's worth here's the katana in action clean (sorry for the slight clipping - its a plug in shure iphone mic)

anyway I mainly use it in 0.5watt mode for low volume practice at home, but it can get pretty damn loud, not true 100 watt Tube loud, but loud enough! I find it really good as a pedal platform too, including for pedal gain. Running two of these for a stereo setup would be pretty cool, and economical! Oh yeah the reverb and slap back are from the amp's onboard effects.

Last edited:

RocknRollShakeUp

Ive had a pair of Boss Katana 1x12 combo's (50watt and 100watt) for
a couple months or so now.

These amps sound, feel, react, anything you can say,
exactly as a tube amp does.

Ive had some very cool tube amps (Marshall clones since 2005) and
they are all gone and Im never getting another.

The price point is nuts! I would pay twice as much or more.

If you are looking for a throw in the car and gig amp, check
these out.

Oh by the way the effects are great too.

Jimmy

I agree! I'm also a fan! Yeah my tube amps sound better when I'm cork sniffing in the bedroom, but I can take this thing close enough especially for live use!

Quills

I am new to forums, but I am learning! I bought me a Katana 100 a few months ago and I love that amp. It makes me want to play, it is fun and I will put it up against any amp. I play my Les Paul Custom thru it and it sounds killer. You can't go wrong, and by the way I gig with mine all the time. thanks!

Red Baron

I bought a 100w combo myself a few weeks ago and I agree, it's such a fun amp. After speaker break-in and taking some time to tweak they sound absolutely fantastic... value for money it's a no-brainer, every guitarist should own one :hank

jbzoso2002

Great. Now I want one. What can I sell...

You wont have to sell much, one of the things about these amps that
keeps blowing me away is the price point.

Now with the latest update there are 8 channel presets on the 100watt.

Every time I play through it I get a big smile on my face.:dude:

Thank you Boss!

Jimmy

fender69

So, has anyone tried the 50 watter? Any significant difference in features or performance?

jbzoso2002

So, has anyone tried the 50 watter? Any significant difference in features or performance?

I have both 50w and 100w 1x12 combo.

The 50watt sounds great but at its very low price some features were not included.

Most importantly the ability to use the GA-FC foot switch.

I highly recommend getting the 100 watt, it also has more line out/recording out options
and a real nice effects loop.

You cant switch effects on and off within a preset on the 50.

You can with the 100.

Any more questions let me know.

Jimmy