• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Filling the Body Cavity on a 2001 Les Paul Classic 1960

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
There is something to be said for adding mass to alter the tone/feel of an instrument as seen in that fathead pic.

Using that exotic wood is fine for the primary build wood, but once to glue it to something else, you aren't getting that benefit. Any noticeable change is likely due to mass alone.

renderit

There is something to be said for adding mass to alter the tone/feel of an instrument as seen in that fathead pic.

Using that exotic wood is fine for the primary build wood, but once to glue it to something else, you aren't getting that benefit. Any noticeable change is likely due to mass alone.

Maybe he surgically connected the capillaries in each as he was attaching them.

Big Al

Yep. imo you'd get better more musical results from added mass at the strings termination points. I've used machined plated bell brass bridge and tailpiece with brass saddles of course, and when applicable heavy quality machine heads, like Grovers or Schallers.

But as I've said, whatever floats yer boat. I can't help but think that this is a responce to the hysteria like mania I have noticed regarding weight relief or chambered guitars lately. An unrealistic fear blown waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out of proportion.

Last edited:

chasenblues

I can't help but think that this is a responce to the hysteria like mania I have noticed regarding weight relief or chambered guitars lately. An unrealistic fear blown waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out of proportion.

When i read the thread title i thought that this was going to be about filling the routes-holes in a chambered/weight relieved body..Hmm that should be interesting.

But this??

tDJcYhKm.jpg

AoSaoTzm.jpg

eVb4KyRm.jpg

:ha

J T

The 2001 Classic has the slim taper neck with the 495 and 500t pickups. The pickups alone are hotter than most historics, so I don't see how adding wood can make a better sound. That piece in the three way switch hole is barely touching the guitar. How is that absorbing body vibrations? Seems like it's just taking up space.

BTW, how is the truss rod adjusted with that piece up there covering it?

Big Al

The 2001 Classic has the slim taper neck with the 495 and 500t pickups. The pickups alone are hotter than most historics, so I don't see how adding wood can make a better sound. That piece in the three way switch hole is barely touching the guitar. How is that absorbing body vibrations? Seems like it's just taking up space.

BTW, how is the truss rod adjusted with that piece up there covering it?

They aren't even installed well. I'm sorry but haphazardly glueing on chunks of scrap wood no matter how exotic, ain't doing a thing to improve tone. Might as well toss in some fishing sinkers.

I've listened to Johan's video and I don't hear all the added frequency content.

This is just nuts, somehow appropriate considering.

renderit

They aren't even installed well. I'm sorry but haphazardly glueing on chunks of scrap wood no matter how exotic, ain't doing a thing to improve tone. Might as well toss in some fishing sinkers.

I've listened to Johan's video and I don't hear all the added frequency content.

This is just nuts, somehow appropriate considering.

Psst! It's super special secret wood! That's the difference...

GotTheSilver

And to think, i just poured cement into all the holes in my guitar! I guess I just took the lazy man's way.

Last edited:

renderit

Ya know, the more I look at the truss rod cover I think "That's where he's been puttin' almost dried boogers!".

Cogswell

The Duke of Dumbassery
I think this is a great idea. I wish I had read it before I filled up my ES-165 with Fix-A-Flat