• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1964 Gibson Thunderbird Bass

DEVILBAT

I've always wanted one of these since I saw my friend Ivan Kral play his when he was in the Patti Smith Group in the late 1970's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5pU1LPpyfQ

Well...it's 40 years later, and thanks to my fiend Eliot at Rumbleseat Music, I was able to purchase the bass of my dreams. It was delivered today.
I like the single pickup version...whenever I've played bass, I've used Mustangs, P-basses and the occasional Fender Musicmaster. So I am psyched about this one!
Lk0dnAN.jpg

The other 2 guitars are my '70 rosewood tele and my 1964 Fiesta Red Stratocaster....

9gbZSym.jpg

tvtrVv3.jpg

Anyway...I do like the single pickup version....any other Thunderbird fans/players out there care to weigh in?
Thanks!\
ktnwt17.jpg

3bfVVwy.jpg

m90qZ0l.jpg

Last edited:

garywright

everything about that guitar works ..the beautiful finish and oxidized nickel especially :salude

58Lover

Oh man, jealous! I have been a bird freak for 35+ years..... I had a newer (2000) but I would die for an original. Great score!!!

JJ Blair

What a score! I have a single pickup '68, and love it. Would love a Rev, but my non-Rev thing is pretty amazing, too.

DEVILBAT

This thunderbird is very light in weight....it's not s top heavy as the Firebird I's I've owned in the past. Sounds and plays killer...
I really am preferring this to the P-basses I've played....
really sounds/plays great!