• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Flying V 98 Complete Set

ashbass

There were three finishes offered for the fantastic looking Flying V 98 guitars. Natrural (best wood), Burst (2nd best), Translucent Purple (3rd). Anyway, I had them all. The natural played the best, then the burst, and then the purple.

FlyingV98s.jpg
FlyingV98s2.jpg

Sold them all and bought my daughter a fucking cello. Now it sits in a corner. :##

I'm looking to find another one in natural. So if you're looking to move yours on, let me know.

ashbass

The profile was called "Rounded." It wasn't like a typical v at all. No way like a 60s taper. I can only describe it as junior chunky. There was some meat to wrap your hand around instead of having to pinch the neck. That natural had a profile that stayed the same all the way down the neck barely getting wider as it went. The burst actually got more narrow down close to the body and the purple one got wider like a typical v does and was as wide down there as a standard v would be. Getting that natural was the most fun NGD I've ever had.

I think that the Limited Edition labeled ones had the rounded profile (1998-2000-ish). Then for some years later gibson made special runs of the guitars but the 2004 I have now is not the same. It has more of a rounded fret 1-5 but then kind of flattens out like a standard v the rest of the way. That's kind of cool for early chording and later flash but not the same as the originals.

bizzwriter

The profile was called "Rounded." It wasn't like a typical v at all. No way like a 60s taper. I can only describe it as junior chunky. There was some meat to wrap your hand around instead of having to pinch the neck. That natural had a profile that stayed the same all the way down the neck barely getting wider as it went. The burst actually got more narrow down close to the body and the purple one got wider like a typical v does and was as wide down there as a standard v would be. Getting that natural was the most fun NGD I've ever had.

I think that the Limited Edition labeled ones had the rounded profile (1998-2000-ish). Then for some years later gibson made special runs of the guitars but the 2004 I have now is not the same. It has more of a rounded fret 1-5 but then kind of flattens out like a standard v the rest of the way. That's kind of cool for early chording and later flash but not the same as the originals.

Thanks for the info -- I need to try out one of these...

ashbass

Good luck to you on finding one. Not stupid expensive anyway. There's a natural on ebay for 2k and is not labeled limited edition for all that it was made in 2000. Sounds like the guitar wasn't up to snuff IMO. I got the one I have a few months ago for 1100 from japan. The other japan guy on ebay wants 1700. I only want natural so nope for me. On Reverb there's a purple one for 1400.

I got another one from Japan the other week to compare against the one I have. Keep the best and sell the rest, right. It got f'ing lost in the mail!. Made it to the US, through customs, to Pittsburgh where I live, and a wrong number in the zip got it labeled Dead Mail and sent to a facility in atlanta georgia. WTF.

That was about three weeks ago and finally today (Yea!!) I got an email that they'd found it compared to my missing mail claim and are shipping it back to me to this week. Whew. I mean, WaHoo!

sandimas

Apologies if this is stupid question: how can you tell if you have a 98 V?

The natural one in that photo looks very much like mine, which I bought new in either 2000 or 2001. It does have "special edition" stamped on the back of the headstock, which I though referred to the fact it had gold hardware: I didn't know Vs came with different necks.

Just interested in finding a bit more about my V. It's just the sweetest guitar, it was the first and only one I've played (they're not that common in England) but over the years it just seems to have some "mojo" that my other guitars do not have, even my Les Paul. It's my goto guitar, especially for recording.

Kris Ford

Ironically, they have sorta gone back to that style..albeit with white guard for the latest Vs.
gibson-2017-flying-v-t-ebony-3.jpg

veeman

Half a guard. Looks silly. Why can't they just stick with the classic look of the 67? or 58? Why all the halfassed variations?