• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1956 Fender Princeton; 2 owners since new!

rw4951

***SOLD***1956 Fender Princeton; 2 owners since new!

I purchased this 1956 Fender "Big Box" 5F2 Princeton from the original owner about 3 years ago. He received it as a Christmas present in '56 along with an early (November '56) Musicmaster (which I also purchased). The "FL" stamp on the tube chart indicates it was built in December 1956.

In 1956, Fender started putting the Princeton in the larger Harvard cab with 8" speaker baffles, which is how they got the "Big Box" nickname I suppose. As a result, the 8" speaker sounds much fuller than you'd expect. This one is a transitional 5F2, as it has 16-8-8 filter caps. The 5F2 has 8-8-8's and the 5F2-A has 16-16-8-8's. It also has the separate on/off switch and the Stackpole 1M linear pots (dated 41st week of '56) used on the 5F2-A.

Don Hills at Soul Tramp did the service on it shortly after I bought it. Although it sounded great, the original electrolytic filter caps were replaced for the iron's sake with Sprague Atoms of the proper values. All the other caps were inspected and deemed to be serviceable. The original Astron "death cap" was disconnected, but left in place for originality. All resistors were tested and found to be within spec. An incorrect power switch was replaced with a correct fender type and a three prong cord was installed. I'm including a statement from Don which summarizes all of the work performed. Original caps and 2 prong power cord are included.

The speaker is the original Oxford Alnico 8EV with a date code of the 42nd week of '56, and sounds and functions great. However, I quickly replaced it with a Weber 4 Ohm 15W 10A100 Alnico, in order to preserve the original speaker. I mounted it in the cab using an original baffle and grille from a 56 or 57 Vibrolux. It has a baffle for a 10" speaker, and is the same height and just a couple of inches wider than the Princeton baffle. I narrowed it to fit the Princeton cab and re-attached the original grille cloth for a perfect vintage look and fit. The 10" Weber Alnico and the trimmed Vibrolux baffle are included.

Tweed is in very nice shape, with just the right amount of patina, IMO. Even the handle is original. Tubes are a Bendix 6106 rectifier and 5992 power tube, as well as a RCA 12AX7A. Also comes with the tubes that were in it when I bought it.

Please PM me with any questions.

$2300 plus shipping

k4kQwwX.jpg

5EqBoZt.jpg

FGcoKZs.jpg

L4kv0Nu.jpg

Ck1sXMo.jpg

zxevRAF.jpg

nXMQgdD.jpg

5RiyfgM.jpg

Pwb6LdP.jpg

Yz74Lon.jpg