• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Anyone using Attenuators? Questions..

Hotshot

With the Gretsch I'm very happy with my Point to Point 5E3 Deluxe Amp. Though lately I've been banging on the Les Paul and using a Fulltone Phlimsol into the Deluxe. Sounds great, and the 6120 is no slouch in the full drive dept.

That said, Im seeing a few 4x12 Marshall cabs on the old buy n sell for about $4-500CDN.

I hear the JCM 800s before 85 are some sweet rigs for that 70/80s Rock i was raised on. Now They need to be on 9 or 10 to get that tone, and so in lies the Attenuator.

I don't like master Vol amps personally, so, it this a fancy Master Vol, or is it a lot more. Is the tone passed through at a decent rate?

Also, for you studio guys, I'm assuming this is how you get that 1959 Plexi recored with out killing your ears n windows?

Excuse the ignorance..

PaulLaRue

You touched on many questions and some good ones.
I am using a Clark attenuator in a Clark Beaufort [5E3 clone] and it works wonders.
No difference in tone with or without the attenuator. One thing to keep in mind about running amps full tilt with an attenuator is the sound level may be reduced but the power tubes are still getting hit hard.
So if you are using very expensive NOS tubes, you will probably shorten their life?
I love my Clark cranked with the attenuator set to maxim but am concerned about frying my precious 60's Tung Sol's.
But I do it anyway.

I'm not a Marshall guru but I see no reason not to attenuate a great amp like the JCM 800.
Especially a 100 watt version, shit 50 watts is too loud most of the time.

I like master volume amps for the control they give. Tone purity at 50 watts is unusable at home.

renderit

Attenuators work but rarely don't effect the sound negatively when turned up high. They are best used for an amp that is just a little to loud for the club you are working to get you back the the sweet spot a few decibels less. The newer crop of reactive load based units does show a little better in my mind (Rock Crusher, Bad Cat Unleash, and several others). The older type work as well and some people actually like the sound attenuated, but most don't. I suggest you also look closely at the Two Notes Torpedo Live and Mesa Cab Clone that approach the problem differently and can actually take the place of your speakers while letting you load your amp. That way you can cob a Marshall and listen through your computer speakers or headphones if you wish and it sounds glorious. These are called "load boxes" and there are many of them.
I use a Torpedo Live and love it. I have a Cab Clone, Unleash, Rock Crusher, THD Hot Plate, and Torpedo Live. For attenuation I prefer the Unleash or Rock Crusher. For load the Torpedo Live. If I could only have one, the Torpedo Live because it is much more flexible.

My review: http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?193355-My-100-watt-BEDROOM-amp!

Hotshot

You touched on many questions and some good ones.
I am using a Clark attenuator in a Clark Beaufort [5E3 clone] and it works wonders.
No difference in tone with or without the attenuator. One thing to keep in mind about running amps full tilt with an attenuator is the sound level may be reduced but the power tubes are still getting hit hard.
So if you are using very expensive NOS tubes, you will probably shorten their life?
I love my Clark cranked with the attenuator set to maxim but am concerned about frying my precious 60's Tung Sol's.
But I do it anyway.

I'm not a Marshall guru but I see no reason not to attenuate a great amp like the JCM 800.
Especially a 100 watt version, shit 50 watts is too loud most of the time.

I like master volume amps for the control they give. Tone purity at 50 watts is unusable at home.

Good point. I have 50s Tungsols in it. It's new. The tubes are not. I have some are issue ones. Should pop those in there.

Big Al

THD Hot Plate is working great for me with my marshals.

I have used Hot Plates for years and I love 'em. As Renderit says not so great when you clamp way down on them, but the built in bass and treble boosting eq features help to maintain the tone if you are clamping down hard. I use mine for my mostly 50 wattish type non master volume amps like Fender Bandmaster Reverbs and Bandmasters and Bassman heads along with combos like a Pro Reverb. I tend to only shave off a little bit to match the room. Thyey excel at that and I found a sacked up Blackface Bandmaster or Bassman head and a 2x12 cab with the Hot Plate down one click to -4db was perfect in the rooms I played. Smaller rooms had me knocking it down to -8db and hitting the deep switch but still worked extremely well with great results.

Not as fashionable today but I still use mine as they do what they are supposed to really well and can be found for good price used. Just make sure you get the right impedance match as this is critical for proper use.

renderit

This sounds pretty nice, to my ears.

UA Makes marvelous stuff! I will have to try one of those!

I have used Hot Plates for years and I love 'em. As Renderit says not so great when you clamp way down on them, but the built in bass and treble boosting eq features help to maintain the tone if you are clamping down hard. I use mine for my mostly 50 wattish type non master volume amps like Fender Bandmaster Reverbs and Bandmasters and Bassman heads along with combos like a Pro Reverb. I tend to only shave off a little bit to match the room. Thyey excel at that and I found a sacked up Blackface Bandmaster or Bassman head and a 2x12 cab with the Hot Plate down one click to -4db was perfect in the rooms I played. Smaller rooms had me knocking it down to -8db and hitting the deep switch but still worked extremely well with great results.

Not as fashionable today but I still use mine as they do what they are supposed to really well and can be found for good price used. Just make sure you get the right impedance match as this is critical for proper use.

Or use one of these...
36123279430_4cb043a1b2_h.jpg