• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Burst of the Month, August 2017...0-7595 What do you call this type of maple figure?

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Partly cloudy. :ganz

0_7595-02.jpg

renderit

I have a couple of modern ones that are similar. I call it quilted flame in my head.

J.D.

"blistery curl"

Great example of Sugar Maple figure.

Jumping@Shadows

Amazing how far off the centre line the maple join is on these late '60s! I can't think of a deliberate reason Gibson would do such a thing, seeing as all the top carving was fixed and indexed, and any deviation would have to deliberate :hmm

djcmusician

That's basically a combination of a mild quilt, mild flame, and a mild blister top.

So it's a Flisterquilt

TM1

Looks like the top seam is under the "G" string.. Tailpiece.. I think in 1960 the angle of the Stoptail was corrected to be equal on both sides. It had been slightly angled towards the high "E" on the Treble side and was corrected to be equal on both sides from the bottom of the body. So it gives the illusion of being off when in reality it's not..
BTW, absolutely beautiful guitar!

J.D.

Technically, "quilt" figure is only found on Western Big Leaf Maple.

Jumping@Shadows

Looks like the top seam is under the "G" string.. Tailpiece.. I think in 1960 the angle of the Stoptail was corrected to be equal on both sides. It had been slightly angled towards the high "E" on the Treble side and was corrected to be equal on both sides from the bottom of the body. So it gives the illusion of being off when in reality it's not..
BTW, absolutely beautiful guitar!

It's bizarre and unlikely Gibson would take the effort to correct a 1/16 deviation in stoptail bushing location resulting from the slight off square improvised metal jig they used to drill the holes, yet not notice nor correct an off centre seam top, one of the most fundamental and basic elements in Gibson guitars since forever :hmm I know Gibson couldn't care less about hidden issues (control cavity router boo boos and pickup route mishaps being a good example), but an obviously off centre top always made me scratch my head..

garywright

I know Gibson couldn't care less about hidden issues (control cavity router boo boos and pickup route mishaps being a good example), but an obviously off centre top always made me scratch my head..

do you believe Gibson measured the joined maple halves to be dead nuts @ center before cutting ?

I was talking to the owner on Saturday and he asked what term is used to describe the type of "flame" in his 60 Burst. Obviously not a plain top, but not stripes and not "flamey" as we usually use this description.

IMG_9542D.jpg

IMG_9515AB.jpg

The best I could come up with was to say, it has "action".
When it is not plain but there is something there, you will see "movement" in the figure as the angle changes. The common 3-D effect of figured maple.

Whatever it is called, it is certainly not plain and it is very beautiful! :jim

:salude

Strikes me as fluid, sketchy like someone dabbed a brush with paint and twirled the tip around on the top. Call it Monet Flame or Monet Burst.