The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
LilyPix
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Burst of the Month, August 2017...0-7595 What do you call this type of maple figu

I've seen lots of Eastern Maple like that. First, what it is not. It is not Flame, Fiddleback, Tiger, Ribbon, Curly or any other "stripe" type. It is not Birdseye or Quilt.

It is known most comonly as Blister Maple, AKA Measle, Pock, Bubble or Shell Maple, (as in oyster shell),. You see it a lot in laminate maple arch tops like ES models. I have seen some solid carved backs with this figure but it is much more common on maple ply bodies like thinline ES3xx guitars.

There are a few bursts like this. I like this one.
    Just another grumpy, gimpy, grizzled geezer, gettin' on the goodfoot!

Les Paul Forum Member

Re: Burst of the Month, August 2017...0-7595 What do you call this type of maple figu

Tom I have to tell you that I read your remarks in the Latest issue of Vintage Guitar in the Last Burst article .Very nice Tom .

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner Tom Wittrock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El Gringo View Post
    Tom I have to tell you that I read your remarks in the Latest issue of Vintage Guitar in the Last Burst article .Very nice Tom .
    That issue is out? I hope I get mine soon.
    Pauls to the walls!

Hüter der Flammen!

PLEASE SUPPORT www.burstserial.com !!
    Click here: www.burstserial.com

Yep, I agree with Big Al. If we are looking for an 'official' term, I would say blister as well. But what's really nice about it is it's a soft blister. If there is such a thing?
    Climb down off the hilltop... Get back in the race.
    Allman Brothers Tribute Band http://www.seventurns.net/

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner Tom Wittrock's Avatar

When I hear "blister" as a description of maple figure, I always think of this Burst [0-7450]:

Pauls to the walls!

Hüter der Flammen!

PLEASE SUPPORT www.burstserial.com !!
    Click here: www.burstserial.com

Since we're voting, I'm going with "figured". Meaning, not enough consistency to give it a fancy name.

0-7450 is true blister figure. That is why I call the other one "blistery curl" as it is somewhat of a hybrid between the two types of figure. Both great examples of Sugar Maple figure.

Bluralame℗©™®Ω℞℃!
    Renderit, You have an interesting perspective and your posts aren't boring...
    Ren, all in all, I'm giving you a C- today's posts...
    Most of what you write with regards to my posts is cryptic nonsensical gibberish like this. I would prefer if you actually added something to the conversation but hey, I haven't walked in your shoes. So being as nice as possible: I look at your posts as if I was dealing with an eccentric cousin who comes to visit unannounced.

Irregular flame? Angled flame?
    Jim Cox
    coxster@yahoo.com
    '65 Firebird
    '76 Bicentennial Firebird
    '08 Studio Robot
    '14 Futura LP
    '15 Classic Burst
    '15 Standard Burst
    (That's it for the Gibsons)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12