• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Sudden loss of high end sparkle

Lowell_M

I recently got a new to me 93 studio which I like a lot. Being a tinkerer, I ordered some 500k pots and orange drops, which made the tone even more to my liking. My guitar had a lot of noise without hands on the strings, so I shielded the cavities with copper tape which killed some of the highs, but after I soldered the separate pieces together the highs came back. Actually I think the shielding made it more sparkly, but It's probably in my head. About a week later the sparkle disappeared again. I need advice on where to look. Any help would be appreciated.

Also, being new to the forum I'd like to say hi to everyone. I've read a lot of these threads over the years, and they have been super helpful.

MikeSlub

Administrator
Are you using different cables? That can make a difference. Is it your amp - same settings? Pre-amp tubes?

Shakey

Where you using a pedal board when you got less top end? A big board with a bunch of pedals is a common source of loss of top end.

Lowell_M

Same cables, same amp settings. Even tried a cable that was still in its package. Could be the preamp tubes, but they're relatively new.

Lowell_M

My pedal board is relatively minimal, but I did try plugging straight to the amp.

Lowell_M

Oh man, I'm gonna kick myself if that's what it is, but that could totally be what it is.