• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

71 Les Paul Recording - low imp pups - pre-amp recomendatons please

lordpuffin

Hi Guys - Just bought this fabulous 'Recording' and understandably am baffled by the electrics, I thought I'd better join your forum for some advice.
Having had a good read through your posts it seems, to get the most out of the guitar tonally, you need to use the low-imp setting. I have tried this, putting it through my Marshall cranked through the roof and you can tell low-imp is the way to go - the switches and knobs now effect the sound.
However, this is obviously a crass and clunky way of doing it.
Can anyone recommend the appropriate pre-amp to use with such a guitar? I am looking for warm, clean, classic, AC30ish tones.
All or any advice much appreciated
Regards
Lord Puffin

Grog

Hi, You need to come up with a chord with a transformer in line. With these guitars, it needs to be "Unbalanced" (2 wire, not 3 like a mic chord). Sure makes a transformer much like Gibson supplied with the earlier version of this guitar, before the transformer was built in. It's a Sure A95U. Hosa makes an unbalanced cable to plug into it & any short patch chord will work fine for the other end. For best results, have the short end closest to the amplifier, (the high impedance end). The low impedance side can be any length. I'll post a photo of the newer Sure replacement.

U7AqPLV.jpg

Last edited:

lordpuffin

Thanks Grog - I certainly know what to do now. I thought I was going to have to put some kind of powered box in between the guitar and the amp, this is so much neater. Thanks again
Lord Puffin

Big Al

The Recording has an onboard transformer with a switch. The onboard decade and eq functions work regardless the imp switch setting. The Professional model required an external transformer to use with guitar amps.

I had use of a Recording Model back in the mid 70's for an early studio project and if I switched it to high imp it functioned perfectly with my amps, I switched it to low when direct injecting to the mixing desk. I loved that guitar and all the sounds it had but my pal would not sell it too me. That is why I asked as if it was like the one I used you shouldn't need a transformer cord to use it with a Marshall.

Last edited:

Grog

The "Decade" control, only seems to work clearly on mine when you have the switch on "Low Impedance" and are using a chord with an inline transformer. (Or going direct into a low impedance mixing board). You don't really hear a huge difference on the different decade positions, but the harmonics & tone is amazing in low impedance.

Last edited:

Big Al

Oh man that guitar sounded amazing di' with a tube mic pre into the mixing board.

gibson-r8

sure would like to see pictures! Grog is the absolute reference for these guitars, SteveDenver a close second, and of course Big Al is a treasure. Mine is a 78, second version in walnut. Remember to lift with the Legs

Last edited:

Big Al

sure would like to see pictures! Grog is the absolute reference for these guitars, SteveDenver a close second, and of course Big Al is a treasure. Mine is a 78, second version in walnut. Remember to lift with the Legsg

Brother, you ain't kiddin', Brothers Steve Denver and the mighty Groganator are the go to guys for all things in the kingdom of low z Lesters. Top cats in the tone alley!

lordpuffin

Lift with the legs - I am enjoying my newly revived biceps!

Thanks to Grog, Steve Denver and Big Al.

Could you recommend the best amp for this guitar? I have a valve Marshall but the guy I bought the guitar from had an old valve Fender - I am assuming this is the way to go?!?!?

LP

Grog

This is what Lester used.............. A LP-1 Preamp. I'm not sure what the bottom is but it would have to be powered.

vbtOYF3.jpg