• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Neck Profile on a 1990 Standard

Jurgen

I'm the giddy new owner of a wine red 1990 Standard, the doppelganger of the 1988 version I had in the early to mid-90's. Ecstatic. However, I was very surprised at the neck shape! It's much slimmer than the fat old baseball bat that the '88 had, to the point that I questioned whether this might be a Standard-ized Les Paul Classic in reality, but the serial number matches the format of a Standard, so that's not it.

Can you fine folks help me out with this? Is it weird for a '90 Standard to have what feels to me like a slim-taper neck, or at least one that's worlds different from an '88? It's a happy surprise, as the neck is almost identical in shape to the Peavey JF-1 I've been playing for the past ten years, but I was surprised by the neck shape. Is it weird, or am I just misinformed?

Unrelated: The guitar has a Seth Lover set replacing the stock pickups. LOVE those Seth Lovers, man. So perfect for a Paul.