• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Mods + upgrades for custom shop strats?

fakejake

Hey,
Following me recent thread on possible pickup alternatives for my '99 custom shop strat, I would be interested in any upgrade or mod you guys have done to bring a CS instrument closer to vintage territory.
I know that if it aint broke theres no need to fix it, but I’m simply in a mood to experiment a bit with some of the components.
Would there be any benefit in changing the harness, trem unit, saddles, etc? Which other pickups have you tried and liked?
:salude

sikoniko

Hey,
Following me recent thread on possible pickup alternatives for my '99 custom shop strat, I would be interested in any upgrade or mod you guys have done to bring a CS instrument closer to vintage territory.
I know that if it aint broke theres no need to fix it, but I’m simply in a mood to experiment a bit with some of the components.
Would there be any benefit in changing the harness, trem unit, saddles, etc? Which other pickups have you tried and liked?
:salude

I have a set of the pickup wizard pickups that sound identical to my vintage pickups. Also, lookup raw vintage springs. The pure vintage tremolo will give you the pat pending saddles and th correct thread for a vintage tremolo bar, which will make your current bar no longer work.

No one makes knobs with the correct font. You will either have to live with it or buy vintage ones. Same for the jack cup and the big screws. You will have to buy vintage if you want it to be correct.

There re are already threads on the pickguard issues and you probably also won't find an exact pickup cover.

Your wiring harness and switch should be fine. Upgrade to the appropriate luxe cap for the year of your guitar.

No one makes accurate tuners, but you can probably get closer with the newer kluson's, or buy vintage. Sometimes you can find a deal.

fakejake

Excellent info sikoniko, excactly what I was looking for!
Thanks!!

Anyone else?

Kris Ford

I have a set of the pickup wizard pickups that sound identical to my vintage pickups. Also, lookup raw vintage springs. The pure vintage tremolo will give you the pat pending saddles and th correct thread for a vintage tremolo bar, which will make your current bar no longer work.

No one makes knobs with the correct font. You will either have to live with it or buy vintage ones. Same for the jack cup and the big screws. You will have to buy vintage if you want it to be correct.

There re are already threads on the pickguard issues and you probably also won't find an exact pickup cover.

Your wiring harness and switch should be fine. Upgrade to the appropriate luxe cap for the year of your guitar.

No one makes accurate tuners, but you can probably get closer with the newer kluson's, or buy vintage. Sometimes you can find a deal.

I would rather have the Pure Vintage knobs, even if font is not 100%, over the stock.:salude

Elmore

My Seymour Duncan Antiquity strat pickups sound like Hendrix at Winterland when cranked. I vote for them.