• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

2 TO 3 PRONG POWER CORD MOD ON MY VACUUM TUBE PEDAL..................

JeffBlue

I have a BK Butler Real Tube pedal which is supposedly the precursor to the Tube Driver pedal. My pedal had a 2 prong cord which means the chassis was ungrounded and introduced line voltage noise and someone added an in-line on/off switch. I installed the new cord and now there isn't any noise, just excellent tone.

TM1

There is alot of stray signal/line noise in that pedal. Grounding the AC really removes most of that as it gives it someplace to go. I had one of the Tube Works versions from the late `80's. I have one of theearly `90's versions now. Identical inside! I did replace the 12AX7 with a 12AU7 and that made it far more useable. But they've always been a nice OD I think. I found they work best with lower output guitars as it gives them some balls..

JeffBlue

There is alot of stray signal/line noise in that pedal. Grounding the AC really removes most of that as it gives it someplace to go. I had one of the Tube Works versions from the late `80's. I have one of theearly `90's versions now. Identical inside! I did replace the 12AX7 with a 12AU7 and that made it far more useable. But they've always been a nice OD I think. I found they work best with lower output guitars as it gives them some balls..

I just let go of a Tube Works (Taiwan version, noisy) Blue Tube pedal, I have a BK Butler Blue Tube pedal that I modified to use a 6SL7 octal tube (I had to punch a hole in the side of the chassis and figure how to wire a homemade noval to octal adapter) sounds excellent and I am using a 12BH7 (a longer 12AU7 type tube) in my Real Tube pedal and that sounds great. I agree that a 12AU7 sounds much better in these pedals than a 12AX7. Typically I use these pedals as a clean boost because they enhance the initial signal when used this way. I mostly try to adjust the pedals as transparent as possible and use other pedals for the dirt.

Last edited: