• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Stock pickups in a '99 Custom Shop Strat? Suggetsions for replacement?

fakejake

Hi all,
Can anyone tell me which pickups would be stock in a 1999 NOS custom shop strat?
Also, which pickups would you recommend for getting closer to an early-mid 60ies strat sound?
I like the sound of the current ones, but I would like to experiment a little and maybe try another set.
Cheers!

Kris Ford

'99 might be 57/62s..:hmm

For me, ANY traditionally wound with era correct wire and Alnico V poles will do the job..there isn't too much magic in strat pickups IMSHO..

fakejake

Thanks guys! I will remove the pickguard and take a pic of the bottom of the pickups next time I change strings. That'll probably help.

deytookerjaabs

If it is the 57/62's I just want to say I had a set of those in a guitar that was stolen and loved them.

Last edited:

H.Mac

If it is the 57/62's I just want to say I had a set of those in a guitar that was stolen and loved them.

Agreed! I've run the gauntlet with Strat pickups - Custom Shop, Don Mares, and OC Duffs, and found myself liking the 57/62s more than the others. They have the characteristic Strat sound, and clarity, and are well balanced string-to-string. The sets with the reverse wound middle are quiet, and they won't break the bank.

Elmore

I recommend Seymour Duncan Antiquity strat pickups. They sound like Hendrix at Winterland though a cranked Marshall. That is what I have in my strat.