• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Gibson Hawk

Tubes 'n Wood

There's one at an estate sale down the road from me and I know very little about them. It's the taller skinny one, black tolex, brown/wood grain control plate with vol, tone, trem and rev, 2 inputs with footswitch. Can't post a pic (at work), any info/help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Grog

Sounds like one of the amps just after production all but stopped at the Kalamazoo factory. Late sixties, early seventies they came out with what some people call the "batwing series". Both sides extend about an inch higher than the control panel which has a woodgrain look to it. These amp were said to have been produced in a Standel factory that Gibson had holdings in.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-196...158402?hash=item1ecbf9b482:g:NMMAAOSwR29ZJc-C

Wally

I don't see too many of these.....it is all-tube, I think. The next series, which has some blue cosmetic touches instead of the wood-grain, has some solid state aspects to it....especially in the effects section. I personally prefer the 1960 and earlier Gibsons. Some of the singel slant front Gibsons can be good, and the double slants from the middle of the decade can be interesting but generally demand a speaker change from the thin and harsh CTS things Gibson used at that time.

Tubes 'n Wood

Wally and Grog, thank you very much for info. I told my buddy about it and he bought it for $300.