• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

First LP, 97 Studio w P-94s. Need info from all you knowledgeable folks. Pics below

Hotshot

Hi all, New to group and LP's. Having wanted a LP since i was a kid in the mid 80s, it never seemed to come about for many reasons. That all changed last week on a total whim. Long story short, on my way out the door of my local shop, I spotted this red LP that i thought was an entry Epiphone because of the price. Upon further inspection i saw that it was used, had a bunch of rash, smelled like all the clubs so many of us knew, and was tweeked for someone who gigged a lot. Lastly, it said Gibson on it, and had a 97 Serial number. We plugged it into and Mesa unit and a Delux Tweed ( my amp ) and it whaled. My buddy, whom i was there with said that if i don't buy it now he will. Will the price point less than entry guitars i couldn't put it all together. Turns out it came in, in a lot. Plus I really like my local shop and have bought top line Guitars and amps here, i trust them.

So, What I ended up with is a 97 LP Studio with P-94s in it, and a hard case. Coming from the Gretsch world the 94's are an added little bit of fun.

It needed a deep clean, but very little set up with 10's on it, though ill keep this one tuned down a half step so minor tweaking ensued.

I LOVE playing this guitar. Its so Fun and sounds insane.

Heres what i think i know about it.

97 made in Nashville
2 P94s in it
Black Grovers replaced stock plastic ones
Black Tail piece is not stock or was anodized..
3 way switch is Orig, working but loose
Pickgaurd changed to triple ply
necks good, just a little nitro crack along back neck, but not wood.

Heres what I want to know.

Is there a different in the Gibson vs what ever tail piece is on this?

How does the wiring harness look? Stock, Replacement?

Are all the LP Truss rod nuts this strange? I does measure 5/16.

The Last two pics are when it came home.

Any Comments concerns and things to look out for?

Thanks.

IMG_2167_zpszxedsygr.JPG

IMG_2116_zpsi4gmccaf.JPG

IMG_2118_zpsjratvxz2.JPG

IMG_2150_zpswjlyfxdm.JPG

IMG_2151_zpszy6nm5bl.JPG

IMG_1933_zpsmoplobmb.JPG

IMG_1927_zpsv00yvm2q.JPG

mattnew33

Congrats on the guitar!

Your questions:

Is there a different in the Gibson vs what ever tail piece is on this?
Gibson has a couple different bridges. This looks to be a nashville style bridge
info from Google: The Nashville Tune-o-matic was introduced after Gibson moved from Kalamazoo to Nashville in the '70s. It offers a wider range of saddle adjustment than the ABR-1, which is great for intonation. This bridge is a bit larger than the ABR-1, and its support posts screw into metal bushings pressed into the guitar top.

How does the wiring harness look? Stock, Replacement?
It has been modified. Pickups obviously aren't stock, pots are Gibson, looks like there is some type of treble bleed circuit ( the resistor ) in there, though I've never seen the resistor on the tone pot side, it is usually on the volume side. But that doesn't mean anything is wrong there... that is just how it was wired up.

Are all the LP Truss rod nuts this strange? I does measure 5/16.

It does look like it has been filed on one side.....

Hotshot

THX Matt. Ya after look over all of this, its to the letter. Gibson P94s , the Nut is 5 /16, all ligit. Sometimes you luck out! I love this thing.