• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Possible 1972 deluxe?

Unstablemedic

http://imgur.com/a/d3peL

I stumbled across this post from Reddit /r/guitars, OP is asking about year of guitar. I thought it was a post '72 Deluxe and wanted a second opinion. The owner has passed away and left it to OP.

Cody

The Gibson logo is not inlaid pearl, and the tailpiece is WAY back.

Looks iffy.

Unstablemedic

Looks iffy.

Weren't the deluxes silkscreened? I saw 3 piece neck, volute, wide headstock and thought deluxe that someone routed out. The serial number seems off to me and no USA stamp. OP says he called Gibson and they said '66 or '69, def not a '66. Maybe a late '69 that's been routed and refin?

Cody

Deluxes always had pearl logos, and the tailpieces were never that far back until the late '70s, pointy cutaway, maple neck era.

The tailpiece placement looks Japanese to me.

Unstablemedic

Deluxes always had pearl logos, and the tailpieces were never that far back until the late '70s, pointy cutaway, maple neck era.

The tailpiece placement looks Japanese to me.

Looking at it now, I didn't even notice that until you pointed it out. Also didn't know that about the logo either, thanks.

Zentar

Looks iffy.

The 1970 Deluxes has that same way back location for the tail piece sp that should not be a concern.

Cody

The 1970 Deluxes has that same way back location for the tail piece sp that should not be a concern.
I'd love to see a pic - I've never seen that, and it doesn't make any sense to have such a deviation for one year only.

chasenblues

Pics posted in another thread from MLP.

Control cavity pic.

y1tY35Eh.jpg

Neck heel.

eM2tofqh.jpg

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
This guitar is not a Gibson.
Both the Gibson and the Les Paul Model [decal line very obvious] are added to this non-Gibson.

deytookerjaabs

Oof, that one isn't even in the ball park!

That said, usually there's a few usual suspects to trace a re-veneer but I personally haven't seen too many bi-cut necks for LP types abroad. I suspect it's an MIJ from mid 70's or so but could be anything at this point.

clearmudd

Phake, an older Japanese maybe but i wonder what the pick-up cavities look like .