• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

NGD First Vintage Guitar Purchase

RandyGoldtop

I picked this up today locally. It's a 56 Jr. Prior to this, my oldest purchase is an 85 Custom. It's been refinished, refretted and had the tuners replaced, but was authenticated at Elderly Instruments. Pickup and pots are at minimum 50's parts, if not original to the guitar. This is perfect for me as the refin made it affordable for me to purchase as a player. It absolutely rocks.

Attachments

• 56 Les Paul Back.jpg
    56 Les Paul Back.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 103
  • 56 Les Paul Ft.jpg
    56 Les Paul Ft.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 159
  • 56 Les Paul HeadStock.jpg
    56 Les Paul HeadStock.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:

garywright

don't care for the shiny tulips but the guitar itself is fine and suits your purpose well

RandyGoldtop

don't care for the shiny tulips but the guitar itself is fine and suits your purpose well

They kind of stick out like a sore thumb, but I don't like the originals either. Does anybody know if I can put Grover's on it without re-drilling the holes?

garywright

You'd have to drill new mounting holes in the rear beings the screws for the strip tuners wouldn't align ..but I think the current diameter of the shaft hole would be large or very close to fitting a set of Grover Rotos ..now, that would like really nice

tonyj

They kind of stick out like a sore thumb, but I don't like the originals either. Does anybody know if I can put Grover's on it without re-drilling the holes?

Slow down. Enjoy what you've bought for a while. You've already said it rocks.

You'll know eventually what you need to do. That's if anything needs to be done.

It already is a nice guitar. You bought it.

Remember everything you change or modify will make it less desirable to someone else, etc.,etc...

Btw, nice guitar!

RandyGoldtop

You'd have to drill new mounting holes in the rear beings the screws for the strip tuners wouldn't align ..but I think the current diameter of the shaft hole would be large or very close to fitting a set of Grover Rotos ..now, that would like really nice

Thanks I may look into this in the future.

montesada

Judging by the "tearout" around the tuner holes, I'd say they've already been drilled out.

Fried okra

I love a first vintage guitar acquisition. Congrats and play it in good health. :salude