• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Compressor and buffer placement- pedalboard

slash@roses

Im about to run a visual sound compressor(comp 66) on my pedalboard and a buffer pedal. What's the best placement for these?

My signal goes guitar, compressor, fuzz, overdrive, buffer, phase, delay, delay, reverb, amp.

Any tips are appreciated!

TM1

Put the compressor First! Otherwise when you kick it in it will drop gain. Mine(A Janglebox) is even before my 1@3 Lehle. Buffer should go last to regain any lost highs the other pedals take away.
I did try the JB after the 1@3 and it sucked some of the gain even though it's suppose to be "true bypass". Buffer for me worked best at the end..

Thundermtn

I run my buffer at the end too. The rest of your chain is the order I run my fx as well, looks good to me.

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
I don't understand why you want a buffer AND a compressor. I would also recommend compressor or buffer last. Putting a compressor in front of of dynamically reactive effects like overdrive is counterproductive.

Compressor or buffer always last. That's what is used to send your even/limited signal to your amp.

renderit

^I agree^and I use studio type compression most of the time^

Pellman73

hey ren I just looked on reverb and it seems like the cali 76 compressors (not even the one that you have that's impossible to find) are going way up in price compared with even 6 months ago-- like the TX-l

or is it just me?

did they stop making the big box ones? that's what some of the reverb postings say.

FWIW i have the compact deluxe and i run it just after my tuner and before my dirt pedals. my modulation/delay/reverb pedals I run through effects loop.

not sure if that's right but it seems to sound good. and yea its basically good on all the time. I think its like cheating

renderit

I would be surprised if he stops doing the big ones as I understand the small ones required some stuff to be left out that he could not miniaturize. I was getting ready to let go of by big TX-G germanium unit. Maybe I need to hold onto it...