• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Help with ID on a 1970's? bass

Choover8059

Serial number is 131324, we inherited this a couple years back, not really sure what she is. Just looking for any information on it

20170712_142530_zps8o0za69v.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20170712_142522_zpsuci3l0hs.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20170712_142509_zpstc6facdd.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20170712_142500_zpsrmlryq0x.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20170712_142456_zpsm64i17ra.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20170712_142452_zpsyyfbnziu.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20170712_142446_zpshx3mwi1j.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20170712_110032_zpsr6yrwa2l.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20170712_142530_zps8o0za69v.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

SpencerD

That's freakin' nice!

Split diamond headstock inlay and the embossed low impedence pickups too? Are you kidding me? --- Nice.

The inlays are interesting,rectangles -- I would have thought a split diamond would have blocks. Right on. :yah:dude:

Choover8059

That's freakin' nice!

Split diamond headstock inlay and the embossed low impedence pickups too? Are you kidding me? --- Nice.

The inlays are interesting,rectangles -- I would have thought a split diamond would have blocks. Right on. :yah:dude:

Thank you for the post. I'm sorry to say I know nothing about guitars, We've had it in its case under my sons crib for the last couple years. A friend of a friend came over a while back and got all excited about it, so I figured I should at least see what it was. I wasn't sure if it was anything special or a throw away :peace2

SpencerD

Thank you for the post. I'm sorry to say I know nothing about guitars, We've had it in its case under my sons crib for the last couple years. A friend of a friend came over a while back and got all excited about it, so I figured I should at least see what it was. I wasn't sure if it was anything special or a throw away :peace2

It's not a throw away ! :dude:

SpencerD

Choover - it's not the same guitar that is in the link that Cody posted. Close,but not the same model.

Big Al

Choover - it's not the same guitar that is in the link that Cody posted. Close,but not the same model.

Not that exact bass, just one the same. It is certainly the same model, do not know what you are basing your statement on.

Grog

I think it might be a '73, like mine. In '73 they switched to a three point bridge. The first year, '72 for this model they had the two screw (we call it the "Tilt-O-Matic" bridge) bridge. This bass is in great shape! You rarely see any now days with a control plate that hasn't been cracked in the area that the guitar jack plugs into the guitar. All you have to do is step on your chord once, & it's cracked.......... I'll post a pic of mine & it's sister guitar, 1973 Les Paul Recording.

wNCN84l.jpg

Choover8059

I think it might be a '73, like mine. In '73 they switched to a three point bridge. The first year, '72 for this model they had the two screw (we call it the "Tilt-O-Matic" bridge) bridge. This bass is in great shape! You rarely see any now days with a control plate that hasn't been cracked in the area that the guitar jack plugs into the guitar. All you have to do is step on your chord once, & it's cracked.......... I'll post a pic of mine & it's sister guitar, 1973 Les Paul Recording.

wNCN84l.jpg

Oh wow, very similar! Thanks for helping here!

Grog

The only other version of this bass was the first variation that came out in 1969-70. It had the same electronics, but no built in transformer to adapt it from low impedance to high impedance. It needed a special chord to use a normal amp. Yours has a switch to use the built-in transformer. The Les Paul Triumph Bass was also a lot lighter than the first version. Some of them were unbelievably heavy! The Les Paul Triumph also came in alpine white, but not as common as the natural color that yours came in.

jAt8NfA.jpg

Grog

OP has an inlay at the first fret. Reverb guitar has inlay at third fret.

That's odd, I had to check my '72, it has an inlay on the first fret. I wonder why the example for sale on reverb has it missing? Odd.........

DH9jCYa.jpg

Big Al

OP has an inlay at the first fret. Reverb guitar has inlay at third fret.

The model evolved like other models throughout the 70's. Still it is the same model, a Les Paul Triumph Bass. As mentioned the bridge changed and I am not sure if they kept the embossed covers past 73 and I know on the Recording Model Guitar the control layout changed as well as the body shape and materials, the last ones had the same shape as a Les paul Custom and had the maple cap. I am not sure but the Bass may have followed suit as they shared the same body size and shape. Like any other Guitar or bass in the range at that time they kept their model name and are best thought of as variants. You are correct about the first position inlay but in all other respects it is the same model.

The earlier one posted was from the Professional Range which had two guitar models but I think only the one Bass Model. Very cool low impedance pro quality stuff, IMO and I have always liked them. The pickups weigh about 37lbs apiece though!!!