• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Identifying this 69-70 Les Paul Custom

CableClamp

Hello Experts,

need your help again. I can have this Les Paul Custom for a good price. It has some missing parts but appears to be solid all in all. For me its a Player and no collector's item but it would be nice if we can figure out its year and if its legit at all.

Appearance:

- not original PUs
- one pot reads 68 another pot 70. Two other pots not readable
- Gibson Logo WITH dot and open o and b but the neck has a volute
- Dot is quite low above the i. Never seen this kind of Logo on a late 69-70 LPC. Looks a bit like the 54 era Logo tho..
- refinished and serial not readable anymore
- binding replaced along the neck (see colour difference around the 3rd fret)
- also not sure if there was a "made in USA" stamp
- However Top Carve appears to me as dish not as Norlin Dome
- missing scratch plate
- changed knobs
- vintage Tailpiece
- ABR-1 with wire
- Neck looks like one piece

I brightened some of the pictures to provide more details.

Has anyone a suggestion? Late 69 or early 70?

Every Idea is very welcome!

s-l16003_zpsyblduivr.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
s-l1600_zpsjxwipseg.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
s-l1600%204_zpsvkwe4kdp.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
s-l1600%203_zpsbvspre8b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
s-l1600%206_zps1mzw1yla.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
s-l1600%205_zpsakh6r8jp.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
s-l1600202_zpszaqoutsf.jpg
[/URL][/IMG][/IMG]
s-l1600201_zpsgcuu6ocf.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

Progrocker111

I have seen this one on German Ebay as i remember. Be aware, its most probably some Japanese fake (at least neck is from some knockoff). Its not genuine 68-early 70s Les Paul Custom. Stay away! :)

CableClamp

Yeah, the volute is kind of in a strange position.

Oh and the "adjusted" cavity is a good one! That seems to make sense pretty much! Weird.

To be precise this is the actual auction. Haven't included it because I downloaded the pictures separately to brighten them up because they were very dark. Maybe another trick? :hmm

http://www.ebay.de/itm/GIBSON-Les-P...520330?hash=item58fab88b4a:g:EDIAAOSw241YXAGI

Another funny thing. I googled the seller and it seems he is kind of infamous. "elgreko33" or "gem.at"

Love this forum guys!!!

CableClamp

And looking more and more at those picturs I have the feeling the Logo and Diamond are nothing more than decals. There is no boarder around them. Or they are oversprayed big time.

Also the toggle ring looks different than the Gibson ones. There seem to be two rings.

Progrocker111

The big 70s style Norlin diamond on the headstock and the dot over i on 60s style Gibson logo arent compatible. Even the nut and inlay on fretboard arent genuine. Its clearly a fake or some reneck or who knows what. :hmm

CableClamp

Yeah, regarding the second headstock. He wrote in his offer that the second headstock is for demonstration only and it is a mid 69 headstock to show that the offered headstock is the same except for the i dot...Which is obviously not. Even the font is different as we all know.

deytookerjaabs

It'd be neat if we could compile a few years of close up pics for legit Customs form '69-'74. I'd be glad to take some detailed shots of my '72 in terms of the pickup/control routes & headstock etc. Not saying this one is fubar but being that Aria & Greco made some fairly close clones the questionable Customs of the era seem to be popping up online more and more now that the prices are climbing. One good tell in addition to routes & headstock might be the tortoise side dots.

CableClamp

It'd be neat if we could compile a few years of close up pics for legit Customs form '69-'74. I'd be glad to take some detailed shots of my '72 in terms of the pickup/control routes & headstock etc. Not saying this one is fubar but being that Aria & Greco made some fairly close clones the questionable Customs of the era seem to be popping up online more and more now that the prices are climbing. One good tell in addition to routes & headstock might be the tortoise side dots.

That would be a good idea! I could contribute to that too. I have a '73 LPC were I'm fairly sure its from that year.

Progrocker111

I have done it sometime long ago in the past here already, but i can repeat it again, when i will have some time. Stay tuned. :)

chasenblues

The 68 LP Deluxe had mini humbuckers

No it didn't(The Custom didn't either),Since technically the Deluxe didn't appear until mid-ish 69.

The Gibson Les Paul Deluxe first debuted in 1969/70; they first appear in the Gibson price list of September '69, though shipping figures show none shipped until 1970. Two years earlier, Gibson had relaunched the Les Paul. Where the (reissued 60s) Standard had two cream-covered single-coil P90s, the Deluxe came equipped with two cream-surrounded mini-humbuckers. Structurally they were the same, mahogany body and neck with carved maple gold-top (although numerous other colours became available later).

1968 Gibson Les Paul Brochure page 3

Phv8Lg4l.jpg

Lots of info here..

http://www.latesixtieslespauls.com/default.asp

Last edited:

Zentar

No it didn't(The Custom didn't either),Since technically the Deluxe didn't appear until mid-ish 69.

Phv8Lg4l.jpg

Lots of info here..

http://www.latesixtieslespauls.com/default.asp

Chasenblues I have two books that show the 68 LPC with humbuckers AND P90s. Dunno what Gibson was doing back then. Were they changing models every 6mos?

I'm of the opinion that is a real LPC in the add this thread is about. Somebody switched pickups. I think the neck is original.