The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
LilyPix
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite

Restoring a 59 Les Paul Junior

Hey
    I am working on restoring a 59 Les Paul Junior. To summarize the previous owner, during the 70's
    hacked with a chisel the P-90 route and replaced it with a Patent sticker T Top.
    Fair enough, i purchased a used P-90 replacement pickup by Seymour Duncan. (Uh btw they don't cut it.)
    and then I started the replacement. During the removal of the T Top I noticed there was a ground wire or something
    like it that had been soldered onto the base plate of the humbucker. I have never seen this before and didn't know whether or not to
    attach it to the base plate of the P90. Regardless I put the P-90 in and I notice there is an occasional distortion or clipping at the end of the some notes.
    Does anyone know why this would happen and thanks.

Les Paul Forum Member ChevChelios's Avatar

Re: Restoring a 59 Les Paul Junior

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Russell View Post
    Hey
    During the removal of the T Top I noticed there was a ground wire or something
    like it that had been soldered onto the base plate of the humbucker. I have never seen this before and didn't know whether or not to
    attach it to the base plate of the P90.
    Pictures would be of great value here ... also, is it a ground wire or not? What wire does the T-Top have? Still the original braided wire?

If you could take and upload pictures of the wire and the electronics, we might be able to help you.
    www.vintageinspiredpickups.com
    cryo-tuned PAF style humbucker pickups

Les Paul Forum Member Joe Desperado's Avatar

Re: Restoring a 59 Les Paul Junior

Ground wire from bridge stud to volume pot. But as long as it gets to ground (via the back plate) that would work too.