• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Ed King's "Redeye." One of the most iconic (and best sounding!) bursts on the planet!

Anje

Re: Ed King's "Redeye." One of the most iconic (and best sounding!) bursts on the pla

That looks wonderful, and nice video too to give us a snapshot of how it must sound like in person.
Thanks CD & Ed! :salude

fender69

Re: Ed King's "Redeye." One of the most iconic (and best sounding!) bursts on the pla

Charlie, what was the neck like? The reason I ask is that I tried a Redeye up at Dave's last year and was kind of shocked at how large the neck was (played a Greg Martin the same day and that was one super comfortable neck). It was almost shaped like a 57 Goldtop RI (big, round, fat). IIRC I thought Ed said something about later in the run, they changed a few things and he was not particularly happy about it (after #80 or so). Not trying to cast asparagus on anything but how did it feel?

57Strat777

Don't look for any fast playing. I don't know how.

https://www.facebook.com/ed.king.52687/posts/10155471440949185

Ed, Thanks for posting that video. That's the magic right there. Thanks to you I bought a Carr Mercury V. What an incredible amp!! I got the head version. Here's a quick video with the attenuator set at about 1 watt.

https://youtu.be/Qngra7e4asE

jlwttgM.jpg

Last edited:

Pellman73

Ed, Thanks for posting that video. That's the magic right there. Thanks to you I bought a Carr Mercury V head. What an incredible amp!! I got the head version. Here's a quick video with the attenuator set at about 1 watt.

https://youtu.be/Qngra7e4asE

jlwttgM.jpg

those amps are made right up the road from me. it seems wrong that I don't have one yet

digging the mercury V head there. really nice guys too

renderit

OK! I Love that and I have a Theile! I may get one and hit a 15" JBL with it as well. I like it better with your Theile than the combo and wondered about that. The Carr amps in the combo cabs have something I don't care for in the sound which I describe as a pronounced K sound in the back of the throat. This corrects it while still keeping the Carr sounds I like. Now I gotta decide between this and the Swart Stupor AST Beasty Thingy if I can figure which one the Professor and Mary Anne use.

57Strat777

OK! I Love that and I have a Theile! I may get one and hit a 15" JBL with it as well. I like it better with your Theile than the combo and wondered about that. The Carr amps in the combo cabs have something I don't care for in the sound which I describe as a pronounced K sound in the back of the throat. This corrects it while still keeping the Carr sounds I like. Now I gotta decide between this and the Swart Stupor AST Beasty Thingy if I can figure which one the Professor and Mary Anne use.

Thanks for listening, Renderit. I am happy you liked it.

I have always liked a closed back cab for the tight bass and focused tone, and at my age anything more than 35 lbs is bound to cause me some back pain.

renderit

You have some music in your hands there sir! I hope someday to have 1/10th as much! Cool.

Patek

OFF
THE
CHARTS !!

RemoWilliams84

I had the pleasure, along with my good buddies J.D. Simo and Elad Shapiro, of visiting with another good buddy, Ed King yesterday at his home outside of Nashville.
As you would expect, with a bunch of guitar nerds like us, we sat around playing many of Ed's killer guitars, among them a recently acquired 65 Tele Custom that was to die for (and ashamedly I didn't photograph it).
After playing around for awhile Ed broke out Redeye. WHAT A GUITAR! That guitar is among THE very best sounding bursts that I've ever had the joy of playing. It really is incredible. It was fun watching Elad (a fantastic bass player) finally "get it" with regard to what all the fuss is about with a phenomenal sounding original burst. He couldn't stop raving about it.
After jamming around on it for awhile, Ed gave me the honor of photographing it. I was especially proud of this particular photo shoot, because I took all of these in about 3 minutes. It was a bright day, and we didn't want Redeye to fade at all.
After all of that, we sat in his back yard and smoked some killer Cubans.
All in all, a REALLY fun day!

I know this is an old thread, but I just ran across it. Red eye now belongs to Jason Isbell. Fantastic musician. He bought it from Carter Vintage in Nashville.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsV4SMJBrgn/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

What an absolutely stunning LP, showed off to its fullest with those photos. Sounds like you experienced the kind of day that us mere mortals could only wish for!