• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Ed King's "Redeye." One of the most iconic (and best sounding!) bursts on the planet!

CDaughtry

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner and Moderator
Ed King's "Redeye." One of the most iconic (and best sounding!) bursts on the planet!

I had the pleasure, along with my good buddies J.D. Simo and Elad Shapiro, of visiting with another good buddy, Ed King yesterday at his home outside of Nashville.
As you would expect, with a bunch of guitar nerds like us, we sat around playing many of Ed's killer guitars, among them a recently acquired 65 Tele Custom that was to die for (and ashamedly I didn't photograph it).
After playing around for awhile Ed broke out Redeye. WHAT A GUITAR! That guitar is among THE very best sounding bursts that I've ever had the joy of playing. It really is incredible. It was fun watching Elad (a fantastic bass player) finally "get it" with regard to what all the fuss is about with a phenomenal sounding original burst. He couldn't stop raving about it.
After jamming around on it for awhile, Ed gave me the honor of photographing it. I was especially proud of this particular photo shoot, because I took all of these in about 3 minutes. It was a bright day, and we didn't want Redeye to fade at all.
After all of that, we sat in his back yard and smoked some killer Cubans.
All in all, a REALLY fun day!

DSC_1511-XL.jpg

DSC_1525-XL.jpg

DSC_1553-XL.jpg

DSC_1559-XL.jpg

DSC_1570-XL.jpg

DSC_1576-XL.jpg

DSC_1591-XL.jpg

DSC_1535-XL.jpg

DSC_1528-XL.jpg

Don

Re: Ed King's "Redeye." One of the most iconic (and best sounding!) bursts on the pla

Wow! Thanks for the pics and story!

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Re: Ed King's "Redeye." One of the most iconic (and best sounding!) bursts on the pla

Fantastic!! :dude:

Thanks CD and ED! :salude

Hot_Snake

:3zone Thanks for sharing !

Stow

Love that Burst! Looks great with covers on

BrianM

Wow. Spectacular Burst!

T.Allen

That was a superb job at capturing that absolutely beautiful guitar!!! Thanks!

sws1

Superb

Unbound Dot Neck

Killer, ! Ed
Whats the consensus on the lack of fade by the switch , for Red Eye ?

Hang tag ?

:jim

zhivago

Holy crap CD!

That is the DEFINITIVE Redeye photo shoot!

Wow, just wow! :jim

Unbound Dot Neck

Word !

:yah

Ed A

Stunning! Beautiful! And no surprise how great the Photos are , thanks Charlie!

Ed A

Here's a question for you burst experts. Obviously we know the deep cherry is from the hang tag. But the question is why is it still so deep color all of these years later? Is it simply because The guitar was just never given a chance to see sunlight since those first days hanging in the store window? Or is it because the aniline dye faded much more quickly when the guitar was new and is slower to fade now? Curious what you guys have experienced.

marshall1987

The particular red fade pattern on Redeye after the tag was removed years ago is quite likely a chance occurrence of nature. Not sure you could offer up a solid explanation why the strong red remains around the switch after 58 years. :salude

F-Hole

Has to be worth $7k of anybody's insurance money.

Last edited:

El Gringo

Outstanding CD . Such an iconic Burst with the pedigree .

renderit

Stunningly beautiful. I can only imagine what it feels and plays like. Thank you.

fjminor

Killer Burst Ed and killer pics CD!!

Fried okra

Killer Pics CD. Master, teach me your photography skills. :jim