The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
LilyPix
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Les Paul Forum Co-Owner and Moderator CDaughtry's Avatar

Ed King's "Redeye." One of the most iconic (and best sounding!) bursts on the planet!

I had the pleasure, along with my good buddies J.D. Simo and Elad Shapiro, of visiting with another good buddy, Ed King yesterday at his home outside of Nashville.
    As you would expect, with a bunch of guitar nerds like us, we sat around playing many of Ed's killer guitars, among them a recently acquired 65 Tele Custom that was to die for (and ashamedly I didn't photograph it).
    After playing around for awhile Ed broke out Redeye. WHAT A GUITAR! That guitar is among THE very best sounding bursts that I've ever had the joy of playing. It really is incredible. It was fun watching Elad (a fantastic bass player) finally "get it" with regard to what all the fuss is about with a phenomenal sounding original burst. He couldn't stop raving about it.
    After jamming around on it for awhile, Ed gave me the honor of photographing it. I was especially proud of this particular photo shoot, because I took all of these in about 3 minutes. It was a bright day, and we didn't want Redeye to fade at all.
    After all of that, we sat in his back yard and smoked some killer Cubans.
    All in all, a REALLY fun day!

Re: Ed King's "Redeye." One of the most iconic (and best sounding!) bursts on the pla

Wow! Thanks for the pics and story!

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner Tom Wittrock's Avatar

Re: Ed King's "Redeye." One of the most iconic (and best sounding!) bursts on the pla

Fantastic!!

Thanks CD and ED!
    Pauls to the walls!

Hüter der Flammen!

PLEASE SUPPORT www.burstserial.com !!
    Click here: www.burstserial.com

Les Paul Forum Member Hot_Snake's Avatar

Thanks for sharing !

Love that Burst! Looks great with covers on

Les Paul Forum Member

Wow. Spectacular Burst!

That was a superb job at capturing that absolutely beautiful guitar!!! Thanks!

Superb

Killer, ! Ed
    Whats the consensus on the lack of fade by the switch , for Red Eye ?

Hang tag ?

Holy crap CD!

That is the DEFINITIVE Redeye photo shoot!

Wow, just wow!

Quote Originally Posted by Unbound Dot Neck View Post
    Whats the consensus on the lack of fade by the switch , for Red Eye ?

Hang tag ?

This is the consensus on what happened:

Pauls to the walls!

Hüter der Flammen!

Word !

Stunning! Beautiful! And no surprise how great the Photos are , thanks Charlie!
    Climb down off the hilltop... Get back in the race.
    Allman Brothers Tribute Band http://www.seventurns.net/

Here's a question for you burst experts. Obviously we know the deep cherry is from the hang tag. But the question is why is it still so deep color all of these years later? Is it simply because The guitar was just never given a chance to see sunlight since those first days hanging in the store window? Or is it because the aniline dye faded much more quickly when the guitar was new and is slower to fade now? Curious what you guys have experienced.
    Climb down off the hilltop... Get back in the race.
    Allman Brothers Tribute Band http://www.seventurns.net/

Les Paul Forum Member marshall1987's Avatar
    Feuding With "Devil Anse" Hatfield on the Tug Fork

The particular red fade pattern on Redeye after the tag was removed years ago is quite likely a chance occurrence of nature. Not sure you could offer up a solid explanation why the strong red remains around the switch after 58 years.
    "Scan not a friend under a microscopic glass; you know his faults so let his foibles pass".

Sir Frank Crisp
    Friar Park
    London, England

Les Paul Forum Member

Has to be worth $7k of anybody's insurance money.
    Last edited by F-Hole; 07-11-17 at 05:07 AM.
    The artist formerly known as "A-hole".

Les Paul Forum Member

Outstanding CD . Such an iconic Burst with the pedigree .

Stunningly beautiful. I can only imagine what it feels and plays like. Thank you.
    Renderit, You have an interesting perspective and your posts aren't boring...
    Ren, all in all, I'm giving you a C- today's posts...
    Most of what you write with regards to my posts is cryptic nonsensical gibberish like this. I would prefer if you actually added something to the conversation but hey, I haven't walked in your shoes. So being as nice as possible: I look at your posts as if I was dealing with an eccentric cousin who comes to visit unannounced.

Killer Burst Ed and killer pics CD!!
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains
    long after low pricing is forgotten! "

Les Paul Forum Member Fried okra's Avatar

Killer Pics CD. Master, teach me your photography skills.
    Last edited by Fried okra; Today at 00:00. Reason: No reason, just felt like making it look like I edited it.

"I just try to keep my fingers between the binding". Tom Wittrock

He plays with feel (yeah, the sloppyness is a good thing for his style) and he's got tone to die for. He ain't no Petrucci or Vai. They got the technique down but no soul and no tone. - Hoss

Les Paul Forum Member Doc Sausage's Avatar

In a word, stunning.
    "I don't want to be part of any club that would accept me as a member" - Groucho Marx

Les Paul Forum Member Luke Gibson's Avatar

Easy on the eyes as well.....
    Lost in the middle of a Brazillian rosewood
    fingerboard......

http://s97.photobucket.com/home/LukeGibson69

Simply stunning!
    Game on!

Can't say anything that hasn't been said already.

Joe

Fantastic photos, many thanks for sharing!

Great story and pics,thanks for sharing!
    "......Play skillfully with a loud noise...
    PS. 33:3
    May God be praised!
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/0/refin_music.htm

Sometimes you have to gag on fancy before you can appreciate the plain.

Les Paul Forum Member MapleFlame's Avatar

Awesome photos Charlie. I wonder who came up with the name of the guitar, hmmmm🤔😁
    Top carves are sexy

Les Paul Forum Member Strings Jr.'s Avatar

Amazing guitar!

Do we know if Ed used it on any Skynyrd sessions?

Quote Originally Posted by CDaughtry View Post
    fantastic pix CD ...this patriotic one having amber waves of Flame is stunning

Charlie, your pictures are amazing. You should consider doing a coffee table book of Bursts.

I bought the electronic version of Beauty of the Burst and while there are a multitude of gorgeous Les Pauls, the resolution is pretty awful. Maybe the print version is better. Anyway, having hi res shoots of some of these beautiful guitars, yours, Ed's Tom's, Joe Bonamassa's and a few others on the forum, you'd have a pretty nice cross section of bursts.

Quote Originally Posted by CDaughtry View Post
    I had the pleasure, along with my good buddies J.D. Simo and Elad Shapiro, of visiting with another good buddy, Ed King yesterday at his home outside of Nashville.
    As you would expect, with a bunch of guitar nerds like us, we sat around playing many of Ed's killer guitars, among them a recently acquired 65 Tele Custom that was to die for (and ashamedly I didn't photograph it).
    After playing around for awhile Ed broke out Redeye. WHAT A GUITAR! That guitar is among THE very best sounding bursts that I've ever had the joy of playing. It really is incredible. It was fun watching Elad (a fantastic bass player) finally "get it" with regard to what all the fuss is about with a phenomenal sounding original burst. He couldn't stop raving about it.
    After jamming around on it for awhile, Ed gave me the honor of photographing it. I was especially proud of this particular photo shoot, because I took all of these in about 3 minutes. It was a bright day, and we didn't want Redeye to fade at all.
    After all of that, we sat in his back yard and smoked some killer Cubans.
    All in all, a REALLY fun day!

Quote Originally Posted by JPP-1 View Post
    Charlie, your pictures are amazing. You should consider doing a coffee table book of Bursts.

I bought the electronic version of Beauty of the Burst and while there are a multitude of gorgeous Les Pauls, the resolution is pretty awful. Maybe the print version is better. Anyway, having hi res shoots of some of these beautiful guitars, yours, Ed's Tom's, Joe Bonamassa's and a few others on the forum, you'd have a pretty nice cross section of bursts.
    You should check out the Burst Believers series of books [three so far] by Vic DaPra. Charlie has lots of contributions in all three.
    Pauls to the walls!

Hüter der Flammen!

Les Paul Forum Member slammintone's Avatar

Man, that top is breathtaking! The old flamey maple can be so wickedly distinctive on the Bursts. Never fail to be impressed by CDs photographic spreads either. Thanks for sharing!!

Are there any popular songs Ed used THIS guitar on ..or did this come years after LSkynyrd?

Don't look for any fast playing. I don't know how.

https://www.facebook.com/ed.king.526...55471440949185

Thanks for sharing Ed & Charlie

Guitars:
    2014 Gibson Custom Shop 1960 Les Paul
    2009 Gibson Custom Shop 1954 Les Paul
    2006 Fender Custom Shop 1959 Esquire
    2006 Fender Custom Shop 1951 Nocaster
    2014 Fender Custom Shop 1960 Stratocaster
    2012 PRS DGT (David Grissom)
    2011 PRS Custom 24 10 Top

Amp:
    Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb

Les Paul Forum Member The Shifter's Avatar

Mesmerizing. Intoxicating.

Les Paul Forum Member 57Strat777's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EdKing View Post

That Carr Mercury V is sounding fantastic!

Awesome guitar and pics.

There also seems to be a bit of red left around the lower volume knob - I wonder why that is the case.

Quote Originally Posted by EdKing View Post

Just awesome Ed! Amazing tone in the hands of player that knows a thing or two. Towards the end, your string bends reminded me of Duane. Thanks for sharing guys! 🤘

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast