• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

NAD: Fender '57 Custom Tweed Deluxe

mustachio

So, this has been a long time coming. For the sake of this discussion, and because this is the Les Paul Forum, Fender or variants of Fender single coiled equipped guitars are disregarded, loathed and will not be considered in this thread. (And before you mention the P90, yes, technically a single coil, but definitely not thin or Fendery.)

I searched and searched and really couldn't find answers to my questions concerning Les Pauls and 5E3 Tweed Deluxe amps. Specifically, it's impossible to find any videos of the newest Fender handwired tweed Reissues and Les Pauls. I mean, I found threads, but not very informative or detailed in comparison to anything, let alone to another 5E3.

Some backround: I've had Tungsten Cortez, Victoria 20112, two 2007 Fender Tweed Deluxe Reissues, Cox 5E3, Greer Underdog 15, Clapton Tremolux and finally Fender Edge Deluxe. So, a lot of 5E3s, tweaks and variants with all sorts of speakers. Yeah. I have problems. First world problems.

I have two guitars. TH58 with Wizzes and a '63 SG Jr. Beefy and thick but very clear and articulate.

What I can offer you in discussion is a detailed comparison of the Tungsten Cortez vs my 2017 Fender '57 Custom Deluxe in feel and sound. Since there are great Tungsten videos (especially with earphones), I can reference sounds easily. Feel is a different, if not completely subjective. I have a good touch, and can really play with restraint, therefore discern an amp's personality. Unlike, the chord strummers or Em pentatonic savants that feel the need to verbalize gauge of strings they use (hypocritical, I know. But, this is a forum. Language is the medium. Shut up in your YouTube videos...I digress. Sorry. I'm done).

The Tungsten YouTube demos have two major things sonically different than the Tweed. First, the Cortez is refined like the Tweed but is a little more wooly, with just a little more grind to it. This could be because of the 12AX7 in the Cortez. Second, the T12Q speaker has slightly more chimier cleans, but the bass isn't as tight as the Tweed.

Feel is very similar, but the new tweed Deluxe doesn't sag AS much the Cortez. The Tweed is much more refined all around. It's well balanced as far as highs to the lows, and is much, much louder. The volume on the Tweed is gradual and doesn't go 0-100 mph on 3. Neither does the Tungsten. I have it set on 1.5 or 2 on Instrument Input 1, Tone on 9-10, and unused volume on 10. Which leads me to the ghost volume interaction the Cortez has MUCH more dramatic effect when used from 6-12 on the unused volume channel. The Tweed does have an effect but it's more gradual and doesn't pull out as much mids as the Cortez. Which I like, either way...I always use this trick, especially with Les Pauls. With my SG's single P90, I don't engage the ghost volume. Both run extremely quiet.

The main difference, with most high end 5E3s, the driver. My favorite speakers were the Celestion Blue, Tungsten T12Q by Weber of which can ONLY be purchased from Tungsten and the new Eminence Special Design speaker here. I was worried about this new Eminence because I hate, HATE, I MEAN HATE the Legend that comes with the Victoria. This Eminence's saving grace is that it's an Alnico and it's much more efficient. I bet it's a Tonker with an Alnico magnet relabeled. It's great. I love the Blue in EL84 amps, but a 5E3 is too much amp for Blues and you have to dial them in just right. They sound great, but Les Paul + Blue/5E3 sacrifices flexibility. As stated before the T12Q sounds incredible clean, holds together well with a Les Paul and has a nice raspiness but that raspiness cannot be dialed out. But, it's not as loud. Add a light OD pedal to either will tighten the bass up, but it's a fine line. The Special Deisign just holds up a little better all around and you have more travel with OD pedals. However, it might be because the speaker is new and therefore a little stiff. Its warmer than all the others that I've tried as well. It seemed muffled at first, but I left the standby off for a couple of hours without playing and let the electrons find their settling point.

I used an Xotic BB for while and then a Greer Lightspeed (a super refined Tubescreamer). The BB has a bass level and I dialed that way back, eased off the gain, and took down those lows and used it as a clean boost. Meh. Didn't like it. Choked the Tweed out of it. The Lightspeed, however, sharpened things up with the Les Paul and made that speaker sustain a tad easier. I also used an Earthquaker Devices Speaker Cranker, ClinchFX EP-Pre and a Greer Southland Harmonic Overdrive. EQD sucked with humbuckers. P90s, meh. Southland just adds another level of saturation that's redundant that the 5E3 has and also flattens out the speaker. The ClinchFx is used after the Lightspeed for solos. So, Lightspeed to tighten up the amp (or not). EP Pre for solos on top of the Lightspeed (or not).

Couple more things: I added a Dr. Z Brake Lite. I love it with the Special Design. Never liked it with a Blue (in any amp) or T12Q. Just changed it the other speakers breakup points too much. It's funny, it takes away the clarity of my Scumback H75-PVC as well, but keeps the Special Design sounding the same. I was surprised. I've tried a Swart Night Light Jr. before and liked the off/on switch, but hated the dial for the attenuation level. Dr. Z's 4 positions are all usable and a must to protect your ears.

I am so psyched that there's no tube rattle. I absolutely love that. My M12s EF86 drives me crazy. All the tubes sound great and for the first time I do not need NOS glass.

I love the new old Fender Deluxe logo with Corona, CA underneath it (same vain as Fullerton, CA). The Tweed isn't too orange nor too yellow.

I prefer the cage over the tubes to protect the cord and Brake Lite cord as well. I also forgot or remembered how alive the cabinet is.

Compared to my Dr. Z M12 (NOT studio cab) combo cab, it's much more alive and resonant. Dr. Z's cabs are well built, but too heavy and it absorbs the bass too much. Unless it's a 2X12" combo, but you will have tube rattle.

I was was so close to buying another Cortez, but there were none to be had. The Amp House had a Germino Deluxe, but by all accounts is a straight up 5E3, plus a Blue. I wanted that new Special Design speaker, proper tubes, and Fender name. I like the fact that this the second generation Fender 5E3s. Compared to the old ones with the Italian Jensens, crappy OTs, terrible volume taper, and two 12AX7s, these are much more usable and less finicky. If I were to guess, I'd bet they took notice of the voltages of the transformers that Clark and Tungsten uses and speced them out to Mercury Magnetics (or MM now carries them at a premium, don't know). The little guys did all the hard work, proved there is always someone that will buy a good Deluxe to Fender and Fender finally comes out with a Tweed to rival a good old one. I'm glad there were no Tungstens available, but feel sorry for those little guys. But, I admit it, I wanted the brand name. But, by all means, don't turn your noses up to Tungsten. I personally always had a tough time dialing in the humbuckers. I'd like a setting one day, then a different setting the next. They'd sound great, but I couldn't put my finger on it. So far, that being the caveat, so far, the Custom Deluxe has been consistent since I've had it.

Thats my story...for now. Experiences, observations and disagreements welcome. Good talk. See you out there.

Last edited:

alnico59

Good review. Currently having a HW tweed Bassman clone along with a few past Vicky's I know tweeds can be tricky when running OD pedals with LP's. I seem to have more success with the neck and middle tones. But those "loathed" Strats sound amazing through them everywhere!

tonar8353

I had a clone built that was a very good amp with a Mercury Magnetic transformers and Weber Alnico speakers in it. It had all hand picked NOS tubes and was a pretty great amp but I sold it because I need to thin the herd. The guy I sold it to dropped a vintage JBL D120 in it and brought it back over for me to check out and after I heard it with the JBL I was sick I sold the amp. Since then I have spent much more time going through my amps voicing them with different speakers and finding the best match for an amp.

mustachio

alnico59, I know those Strats and Telecasters sound incredible through them. I was only messing around. I have love hate relationships with strats and Telecasters. But that's another thread. Even Joe B uses some sort of pedal to goose his tweeds. That's a good philosophy. I figured it out on my own, but then I saw his Tweed rig rundown and it reinforced what I had was thinking.

tonar8353, I know that sick feeling. Find a good speaker and it can be an amazing thing, right? It's cliche to use terms like "3D" or "swirly", but a good Tweed just does that when everything aligns just right. Crazy, just talking Deluxe here, how so small an amp can really be sonically perfect. I'm curious about the Mercury transformers and what builders mean when they wind them for correct voltages? Any insights would be appreciated. Also, tell me about Bassmans. I know the basics. Original Marshall JTMs were just copies of Bassmans, 4X10, yada, yada...but what is it guys in the know are on about?

MikeSlub

Administrator
Even though we are The Les Paul Forum, we like Fender guitars here too! IMHO everyone needs a Strat and Tele in their arsenals in addition to Les Pauls and ES335s to complete the tonal palette. :hank

renderit

I bought the handwired head version used on Reverb and like that it offers some variation with different speaker configs. My main complaint with the Tweed Deluxe is it offers little in the clean options category. With the head I can 4-10 it or 4-12 it and get it to push slightly more air before breakup. It is a fine amp, but a hair to sasquatch (hairy) for me unless I want 'that' tone.

Big Al

I bought the handwired head version used on Reverb and like that it offers some variation with different speaker configs. My main complaint with the Tweed Deluxe is it offers little in the clean options category. With the head I can 4-10 it or 4-12 it and get it to push slightly more air before breakup. It is a fine amp, but a hair to sasquatch (hairy) for me unless I want 'that' tone.

Ren turn the VOL pot of the unused channel up all the way to 12 and keep the channel volume you are plugged into at half or less. You do not have to jump the channels, this will cut the miss and allow for a better clean tone, although I do not believe a truly clean tone lives in this amp. I also use the 12AY7 preamp tubes.

renderit

Ren turn the VOL pot of the unused channel up all the way to 12 and keep the channel volume you are plugged into at half or less. You do not have to jump the channels, this will cut the miss and allow for a better clean tone, although I do not believe a truly clean tone lives in this amp. I also use the 12AY7 preamp tubes.

I will try this. I have jumpered and twisted and done everything known to man, small animals, and some single celled life forms but not what you suggested. I do have a 12AY7 in it though. Yeah! I might get to uses its! I left it home whilst I was crooning in the mountains fer the last month. I sung 3 gators outta the Upper Green in the Wind River Range and had reports of a bull shark in the area. I will be returning to try to cull that bastid before the locals get wind! We all have our jobs...

deytookerjaabs

OP, quite the write up and congrats!

I had the 5E3 headroom search via various speakers then was a mouse click away from a few parts for an amateur overhaul when a Tweed Pro clone (later schematic) popped up on craigslist. That solved that problem real quick though it'll still get a proper servicing, even scored a 50's 15" new in box Utah AlNiCo woofer that sounds wonderful in the amp. I wish I'd known about the Tweed Pro 15 years ago.

mustachio

OP, quite the write up and congrats!

I had the 5E3 headroom search via various speakers then was a mouse click away from a few parts for an amateur overhaul when a Tweed Pro clone (later schematic) popped up on craigslist. That solved that problem real quick though it'll still get a proper servicing, even scored a 50's 15" new in box Utah AlNiCo woofer that sounds wonderful in the amp. I wish I'd known about the Tweed Pro 15 years ago.

Ive always been skeptical of 15" speakers. But, never really heard one.

renderit

Ive always been skeptical of 15" speakers. But, never really heard one.

Then you have not lived. They are awesome on a tweed pro and actually work very well jumpered into the Deluxe. I got the 57 Pro as well and think it is one of the best remakes ever. The 15 has become one of my fav's again. It was back in the 70's as well...

alnico59

Love me a Pro. I had an Ampeg Gemeni II and swapped a few different '15's in/out of it, Weber, Jensen and Emi, some serious thump. Turns single coils instant SRV.

As far as the tweed Bassman (5F6-A) op...it's my desert island amp. Plus I'd be able to crank it up too!

Big Al

I will try this. I have jumpered and twisted and done everything known to man, small animals, and some single celled life forms but not what you suggested. I do have a 12AY7 in it though. Yeah! I might get to uses its! I left it home whilst I was crooning in the mountains fer the last month. I sung 3 gators outta the Upper Green in the Wind River Range and had reports of a bull shark in the area. I will be returning to try to cull that bastid before the locals get wind! We all have our jobs...

Well, it is a relative thing. You'll never get BF type clean from it, but my 55 Tremoluxe is pretty much a Deluxe and when I have the unused channel dimed and keep the volume below half on the input channel it works really well, for a tweed. Remember, cathode bias, no negative feedback. Speaker is important too.

Brother Ren, two minor things that need mentioning, if you do as I suggest, plug into the low or padded #2 input jack on the channel you use if you still need more and remember, roll the volume knob on the guitar down, just a wee bit. I use my ear and not number settings, I just roll down to where it sweetens up. This allows me to roll up for some grind when I pummel for a cool responsive overdrive, yet if I lighten up my attack or roll back a bit it cleans up nicely.

Remember one mans clean is another mans wash! This has proven the best for me with the understanding that yes, it is a Fender Tweed. Not the cleanest animals in the heard, but I do get what I would call a very appealing clean tone when I do this. Speaker helps the overall amp tone both dirty and clean and a good speaker, ( which knowing you you have) is the first thing to try.

Things I haven't tried might be a good compressor, like those awesome Cali's you have, (I WANT SO BAD!!!), set for clean of course or an outboard graphic EQ, a good one of your choice. You can tighten up the bass and scoop those fat ass mids for a pretty good clean I would imagine. I've done this with other amps but can't say I have with my Tremoluxe as I have found a working solution.

I hope some of this may be of help, but the twin interactive channel thing has worked so well for me, I would try that first.

Last edited:

Wally

I say cleans live in the 5E3...at the same volume as the distortion due to the compression. I have a '57 here now that I rebuilt for the owner. Installed a P12P that I have had waiting for an application since it got a Weber recone in 2003. This is the best 5E3 I have had or heard. Big firm low, chimey highs, lots of volume, and creamy overdrive. I run the bright ch up high....past the number 7...close to 10 is best. I run the off channel at 6-8. IF that one is rolled up to 12, the amp is emasculated, imho. YMMV.....if you like it thin and weak. With the amp set that way, I can get cleans at any volume and overdrive is readily available...with a change of pick attack and or guitar control manipulation as the only changes.
Magic amp....and the P12P is a big part of that, ime.....I have never heard a 5E3 do what this one does. 102% of max plate dissipation. I may blueprint this one...it is that good.

bluesforstevie

Whats up lpfers? I am back in a little bit of a gear hunt. Everything is going to be very basic from now on. This fender amp has me intrigued. Have only played Victoria tweed RIs and never thought they sounded remotely close to a vintage fender tweed amp. If anyone has this amp and can send or point me to clips please do so at ddjr9bt@gmail.com.

With all tweed amps components make a huge diff. Tubes, resistors, caps etc. Especially speakers. IMHO Celestion blues are too efficient for this amp...How is this Eminence Alnico?

Anyway....more posts to come friends. I no longer have any tubes, and I am starting from scratch. Have a G&L Indo Tele, a monoprice 5w tube amp and a Catalinbread formula 55 that sounds incredible.