• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Alnico 5 in 57 classic

Old School

Has anyone put an alnico 5 magnet in a 57 classic pickup, I am hoping to get a Burstbucker Pro sound without buying new pickups.

Big Al

The Burstbucker has a different wind. The tone isn't the magnet. Buy a Burstbucker Pro and sell the Classic.

tommersjay

I have swapped an A3 and an A5 magnet in a 57 classic neck pup. Also currently have an A4 in a burstbucker pro bridge pup. The A5 definitely made it more aggressive. Since 57's are wound evenly it had a nice smooth bite to it. My preference is though is the A3 in the 57 classic. I cant believe Gibson doesnt do that more often. So smooth and yet so booming as well. You have to do the change yourself to appreciate the difference in tone.

The A4 in the burstbucker pro turned a pickup I hated into a pickup I love and want to replicate with other guitars. Takes that harshness off that many people dont like in burstbucker pro's.

There are tons of sellers on ebay for pickup magnets and they are relatively cheap. If you are a tinkerer, buy some, and tinker. You will love the results.

tommersjay

but no it wont sound like like a burstbucker pro, it will sound like an aggressive 57 classic.....which is awesome

Old School

but no it wont sound like like a burstbucker pro, it will sound like an aggressive 57 classic.....which is awesome

That would be an awesome sounding pickup, I do like the 57 but I just want a bit more definition and slightly more crunch, I love playing 70s style but with late 80s early 90s twist, loved the HB-R and HB-L pickups but hard to get.

Old School

I have swapped an A3 and an A5 magnet in a 57 classic neck pup. Also currently have an A4 in a burstbucker pro bridge pup. The A5 definitely made it more aggressive. Since 57's are wound evenly it had a nice smooth bite to it. My preference is though is the A3 in the 57 classic. I cant believe Gibson doesnt do that more often. So smooth and yet so booming as well. You have to do the change yourself to appreciate the difference in tone.

The A4 in the burstbucker pro turned a pickup I hated into a pickup I love and want to replicate with other guitars. Takes that harshness off that many people dont like in burstbucker pro's.

There are tons of sellers on ebay for pickup magnets and they are relatively cheap. If you are a tinkerer, buy some, and tinker. You will love the results.

Hey man, did it make notes more clearer or defined?

GeraintGuitar

Has anyone put an alnico 5 magnet in a 57 classic pickup, I am hoping to get a Burstbucker Pro sound without buying new pickups.

yes i did excactly this with a 57+ about a week ago . i did make the pick up louder with more highs but lost a lot of the lower mids

GeraintGuitar

if i was you i would just try it and if you dont like it you can put the A2 back in. magnets are cheap you find them on ebay for about £3 , get a few different types like a A8 and a A5 but ive heard the A3 sounds great in the 57s

GeraintGuitar

That would be an awesome sounding pickup, I do like the 57 but I just want a bit more definition and slightly more crunch, I love playing 70s style but with late 80s early 90s twist, loved the HB-R and HB-L pickups but hard to get.

actually i just rememberd that angus young used to use 57classics but he now uses his sig pickup in the bridge and 57 in the neck. the gibson angus young pup is basically a 57+ with a A5 mag in

but big Al is right a 57 will never sound like a burstbucker and vice versa

Old School

actually i just rememberd that angus young used to use 57classics but he now uses his sig pickup in the bridge and 57 in the neck. the gibson angus young pup is basically a 57+ with a A5 mag in

but big Al is right a 57 will never sound like a burstbucker and vice versa

Thats sounds like something I would like, I just got the alnico 5 magnets, just need some spare time to swap them. Cant wait to try it.

c_wester

My understandig is that the A5 would make the pickup alot darker...?

GeraintGuitar

My understandig is that the A5 would make the pickup alot darker...?
Nope , i put a A5 in my 57+ last week , it did make it brighter but i gotta just add to what ive already posted to this thread because i dont want any confusion
wether you put a A3,A5,A8 in 57 classic its still gonna sound like a 57 classic . so if you "kinda" like your 57 pups and just want a "little" more oomph , then upgrade the mags
but if you outright hate the 57s get new pups

rbig80

Nope , i put a A5 in my 57+ last week , it did make it brighter but i gotta just add to what ive already posted to this thread because i dont want any confusion
wether you put a A3,A5,A8 in 57 classic its still gonna sound like a 57 classic . so if you "kinda" like your 57 pups and just want a "little" more oomph , then upgrade the mags
but if you outright hate the 57s get new pups

+1 I have short A5's that I swapped into 57 classics for my Historic Sg. Sounds great in the sg. I really like the 57 classics, so I put them in my R8, and prefer them now with unoriented A5's

Kris Ford

+1 I have short A5's that I swapped into 57 classics for my Historic Sg. Sounds great in the sg. I really like the 57 classics, so I put them in my R8, and prefer them now with unoriented A5's

Good to hear.

GeraintGuitar

i bet that sg has a proper angus young tone ! its not wild guess its a calculated guess after reading about angus and his pickup tweaking

Old School

I just fitted alnico 5 magnets in my 57s, definitely hear the difference, brighter, clearer, more edge, but as I was told bit less bottom end, I like em but not sure if I love them, kind started really liking the 57s as I was waiting to swap magnets, might try a4s next, if not I reckon leave as were originally and buy another Gibson for the heavier stuff, thats my excuse anyway :)

El Gringo

I have Les Paul's with 57's in them and also with custombuckers and you prefer the 57's over the custombuckers from the custom shop? May I ask why?

GeraintGuitar

I just fitted alnico 5 magnets in my 57s, definitely hear the difference, brighter, clearer, more edge, but as I was told bit less bottom end, I like em but not sure if I love them, kind started really liking the 57s as I was waiting to swap magnets, might try a4s next, if not I reckon leave as were originally and buy another Gibson for the heavier stuff, thats my excuse anyway :)
kinda feel the same now after having a5s for a few weeks , im gonna try a3s ive been told thier just right in 57s