The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
LilyPix
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
    Les Paul Forum Member

Alnico 5 in 57 classic

Has anyone put an alnico 5 magnet in a 57 classic pickup, I am hoping to get a Burstbucker Pro sound without buying new pickups.

Re: Alnico 5 in 57 classic

The Burstbucker has a different wind. The tone isn't the magnet. Buy a Burstbucker Pro and sell the Classic.
    The older I get, the better I was.

I have swapped an A3 and an A5 magnet in a 57 classic neck pup. Also currently have an A4 in a burstbucker pro bridge pup. The A5 definitely made it more aggressive. Since 57's are wound evenly it had a nice smooth bite to it. My preference is though is the A3 in the 57 classic. I cant believe Gibson doesnt do that more often. So smooth and yet so booming as well. You have to do the change yourself to appreciate the difference in tone.

The A4 in the burstbucker pro turned a pickup I hated into a pickup I love and want to replicate with other guitars. Takes that harshness off that many people dont like in burstbucker pro's.

There are tons of sellers on ebay for pickup magnets and they are relatively cheap. If you are a tinkerer, buy some, and tinker. You will love the results.

but no it wont sound like like a burstbucker pro, it will sound like an aggressive 57 classic.....which is awesome

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tommersjay View Post
    but no it wont sound like like a burstbucker pro, it will sound like an aggressive 57 classic.....which is awesome

That would be an awesome sounding pickup, I do like the 57 but I just want a bit more definition and slightly more crunch, I love playing 70s style but with late 80s early 90s twist, loved the HB-R and HB-L pickups but hard to get.

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tommersjay View Post
    I have swapped an A3 and an A5 magnet in a 57 classic neck pup. Also currently have an A4 in a burstbucker pro bridge pup. The A5 definitely made it more aggressive. Since 57's are wound evenly it had a nice smooth bite to it. My preference is though is the A3 in the 57 classic. I cant believe Gibson doesnt do that more often. So smooth and yet so booming as well. You have to do the change yourself to appreciate the difference in tone.

The A4 in the burstbucker pro turned a pickup I hated into a pickup I love and want to replicate with other guitars. Takes that harshness off that many people dont like in burstbucker pro's.

There are tons of sellers on ebay for pickup magnets and they are relatively cheap. If you are a tinkerer, buy some, and tinker. You will love the results.

Hey man, did it make notes more clearer or defined?

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    Has anyone put an alnico 5 magnet in a 57 classic pickup, I am hoping to get a Burstbucker Pro sound without buying new pickups.
    yes i did excactly this with a 57+ about a week ago . i did make the pick up louder with more highs but lost a lot of the lower mids

Les Paul Forum Member

if i was you i would just try it and if you dont like it you can put the A2 back in. magnets are cheap you find them on ebay for about £3 , get a few different types like a A8 and a A5 but ive heard the A3 sounds great in the 57s

Les Paul Forum Member

That would be an awesome sounding pickup, I do like the 57 but I just want a bit more definition and slightly more crunch, I love playing 70s style but with late 80s early 90s twist, loved the HB-R and HB-L pickups but hard to get.
    actually i just rememberd that angus young used to use 57classics but he now uses his sig pickup in the bridge and 57 in the neck. the gibson angus young pup is basically a 57+ with a A5 mag in

but big Al is right a 57 will never sound like a burstbucker and vice versa

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GeraintGuitar View Post
    actually i just rememberd that angus young used to use 57classics but he now uses his sig pickup in the bridge and 57 in the neck. the gibson angus young pup is basically a 57+ with a A5 mag in

but big Al is right a 57 will never sound like a burstbucker and vice versa

Thats sounds like something I would like, I just got the alnico 5 magnets, just need some spare time to swap them. Cant wait to try it.

Les Paul Forum Member Kris Ford's Avatar

Also, a short A5 could be interesting..
     photo norlin_logo.jpg

Les Paul Forum Member

My understandig is that the A5 would make the pickup alot darker...?

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by c_wester View Post
    My understandig is that the A5 would make the pickup alot darker...?
    Nope , i put a A5 in my 57+ last week , it did make it brighter but i gotta just add to what ive already posted to this thread because i dont want any confusion
    wether you put a A3,A5,A8 in 57 classic its still gonna sound like a 57 classic . so if you "kinda" like your 57 pups and just want a "little" more oomph , then upgrade the mags
    but if you outright hate the 57s get new pups

Quote Originally Posted by GeraintGuitar View Post
    Nope , i put a A5 in my 57+ last week , it did make it brighter but i gotta just add to what ive already posted to this thread because i dont want any confusion
    wether you put a A3,A5,A8 in 57 classic its still gonna sound like a 57 classic . so if you "kinda" like your 57 pups and just want a "little" more oomph , then upgrade the mags
    but if you outright hate the 57s get new pups
    +1 I have short A5's that I swapped into 57 classics for my Historic Sg. Sounds great in the sg. I really like the 57 classics, so I put them in my R8, and prefer them now with unoriented A5's

Quote Originally Posted by rbig80 View Post
    +1 I have short A5's that I swapped into 57 classics for my Historic Sg. Sounds great in the sg. I really like the 57 classics, so I put them in my R8, and prefer them now with unoriented A5's
    Good to hear.
     photo norlin_logo.jpg

Les Paul Forum Member

i bet that sg has a proper angus young tone ! its not wild guess its a calculated guess after reading about angus and his pickup tweaking

Les Paul Forum Member

I just fitted alnico 5 magnets in my 57s, definitely hear the difference, brighter, clearer, more edge, but as I was told bit less bottom end, I like em but not sure if I love them, kind started really liking the 57s as I was waiting to swap magnets, might try a4s next, if not I reckon leave as were originally and buy another Gibson for the heavier stuff, thats my excuse anyway :-)

Les Paul Forum Member

I have Les Paul's with 57's in them and also with custombuckers and you prefer the 57's over the custombuckers from the custom shop? May I ask why?

Les Paul Forum Member

I just fitted alnico 5 magnets in my 57s, definitely hear the difference, brighter, clearer, more edge, but as I was told bit less bottom end, I like em but not sure if I love them, kind started really liking the 57s as I was waiting to swap magnets, might try a4s next, if not I reckon leave as were originally and buy another Gibson for the heavier stuff, thats my excuse anyway :-)
    kinda feel the same now after having a5s for a few weeks , im gonna try a3s ive been told thier just right in 57s

I've been a big fan of 57 Classics since day one and still prefer them over most other Gibson PAF types, (though I like all the Gibson PAF varieties ),. I find anico V push the trebles and tighten the bass and lose the flubby low end for a more kaChunka focus instead. Much more impact.

Makes for my favourite neck pickup. I like the bridge as is, but I do use alnico III sometimes. That said these are minor tweaks. The pickup still sounds like a 57 Classic with slightly altered voice. A voice IMO that needs no altering, as I found I still prefer that stock 57 tone I fell in love with back in the 90's.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    I've been a big fan of 57 Classics since day one and still prefer them over most other Gibson PAF types, (though I like all the Gibson PAF varieties ),. I find anico V push the trebles and tighten the bass and lose the flubby low end for a more kaChunka focus instead. Much more impact.

Makes for my favourite neck pickup. I like the bridge as is, but I do use alnico III sometimes. That said these are minor tweaks. The pickup still sounds like a 57 Classic with slightly altered voice. A voice IMO that needs no altering, as I found I still prefer that stock 57 tone I fell in love with back in the 90's.
    Al, how do you feel about the 490s? I put a set in my SG, and they sound killer to me! I am very tempted to try A5 mags to steer them more towards T Top land, and my JMPs seem to love A5 mags..my Strat sounds really aggressive thru it.

Might be a good tweak for a crisper classic metal tone?
     photo norlin_logo.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Ford View Post
    Al, how do you feel about the 490s? I put a set in my SG, and they sound killer to me! I am very tempted to try A5 mags to steer them more towards T Top land, and my JMPs seem to love A5 mags..my Strat sounds really aggressive thru it.

Might be a good tweak for a crisper classic metal tone?
    I'm on record, (and bee hammered for), as finding them pleasing and useful. Great Rock pickup, IMO, and just the thing for hittin' a blazing Marshall or Fender amp. I'm talkin' the higher gain types like JCM 800's and up and post '80 Fenders like Super 60s, Concerts and the II Series on up.

I always thought they had alnicoV? Did that change?

The notes maintain their integrity or clarity better while giving a stronger push for "better" than PAF performance for gainier tones, sans pedals, though they interact beautifully when used with pedals and fx.

NOT a high gain pickup by any means but IMO a slightly hotter Ttop, (another pickup I championed here back in the early days along with minihumbuckers and P90's and I got reamed for it ), which is how I think of them.

I'm on record, (and bee hammered for), as finding them pleasing and useful. Great Rock pickup, IMO, and just the thing for hittin' a blazing Marshall or Fender amp. I'm talkin' the higher gain types like JCM 800's and up and post '80 Fenders like Super 60s, Concerts and the II Series on up.

The notes maintain their integrity or clarity better while giving a stronger push for "better" than PAF performance for gainier tones, sans pedals, though they interact beautifully when used with pedals and fx.

NOT a high gain pickup by any means but IMO a slightly hotter Ttop, (another pickup I championed here back in the early days along with minihumbuckers and P90's and I got reamed for it ), which is how I think of them.

Sweet! Yeah, I like 'em too! And ya gotta wonder how many folks loved their "Shaw" tone, as the early ones got mistaken for them often. (and sometimes sold for HUGE profit from unscrupulous sellers)

Not sure which mags in these. These are the first that didn't have the PAT# on the bottom..(Gibson USA stamp) so I guessed A2 for them.

So short A5, like T Top/PAT#, or long like BB V? Hell, they're cheap enough, I could try both!
     photo norlin_logo.jpg

Les Paul Forum Member

I have played the 2017 Satin Gold Top Tribute, I think they have 490 pickups, they sound fine, a good rock pickupup, which is probably what its designed for.

anyone else experimented with a5s in pickups other than the 57 classics ? ..the reason I ask is that I have a pair of a5s and have given some thought to trying them in a set of True60s or 07 Dr.Vintages both were standard with a2s

Les Paul Forum Member

I know there is a Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates Plus that Fender use and they have A5s, as compared to the Pearly Gates normal version has A2s. I have one in my Strat, and sounds more like a SD 59 which also has A5, the standard Pearly Gates is more boom, and balls but less treble and clarity I think. Basically A5 will probably be clearer and more treble in anything. I might try putting A2 in spare SD 59 I have to see difference.

Quote Originally Posted by garywright View Post
    anyone else experimented with a5s in pickups other than the 57 classics ? ..the reason I ask is that I have a pair of a5s and have given some thought to trying them in a set of True60s or 07 Dr.Vintages both were standard with a2s

interesting ...I have a pair if late 80s Duncan '59s ...been a while since I used them in anything but remember them sounding pretty decent ...those came stock with A5s ?

Quote Originally Posted by garywright View Post
    interesting ...I have a pair if late 80s Duncan '59s ...been a while since I used them in anything but remember them sounding pretty decent ...those came stock with A5s ?
    Yup! Great all around pickup, IMO.

Thanks AL5