• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Alnico 5 in 57 classic

Big Al

I've been a big fan of 57 Classics since day one and still prefer them over most other Gibson PAF types, (though I like all the Gibson PAF varieties ),. I find anico V push the trebles and tighten the bass and lose the flubby low end for a more kaChunka focus instead. Much more impact.

Makes for my favourite neck pickup. I like the bridge as is, but I do use alnico III sometimes. That said these are minor tweaks. The pickup still sounds like a 57 Classic with slightly altered voice. A voice IMO that needs no altering, as I found I still prefer that stock 57 tone I fell in love with back in the 90's.

Kris Ford

I've been a big fan of 57 Classics since day one and still prefer them over most other Gibson PAF types, (though I like all the Gibson PAF varieties ),. I find anico V push the trebles and tighten the bass and lose the flubby low end for a more kaChunka focus instead. Much more impact.

Makes for my favourite neck pickup. I like the bridge as is, but I do use alnico III sometimes. That said these are minor tweaks. The pickup still sounds like a 57 Classic with slightly altered voice. A voice IMO that needs no altering, as I found I still prefer that stock 57 tone I fell in love with back in the 90's.

Al, how do you feel about the 490s? I put a set in my SG, and they sound killer to me! I am very tempted to try A5 mags to steer them more towards T Top land, and my JMPs seem to love A5 mags..my Strat sounds really aggressive thru it.

Might be a good tweak for a crisper classic metal tone?

Big Al

Al, how do you feel about the 490s? I put a set in my SG, and they sound killer to me! I am very tempted to try A5 mags to steer them more towards T Top land, and my JMPs seem to love A5 mags..my Strat sounds really aggressive thru it.

Might be a good tweak for a crisper classic metal tone?

I'm on record, (and bee hammered for), as finding them pleasing and useful. Great Rock pickup, IMO, and just the thing for hittin' a blazing Marshall or Fender amp. I'm talkin' the higher gain types like JCM 800's and up and post '80 Fenders like Super 60s, Concerts and the II Series on up.

I always thought they had alnicoV? Did that change?

The notes maintain their integrity or clarity better while giving a stronger push for "better" than PAF performance for gainier tones, sans pedals, though they interact beautifully when used with pedals and fx.

NOT a high gain pickup by any means but IMO a slightly hotter Ttop, (another pickup I championed here back in the early days along with minihumbuckers and P90's and I got reamed for it ), which is how I think of them.

Kris Ford

I'm on record, (and bee hammered for), as finding them pleasing and useful. Great Rock pickup, IMO, and just the thing for hittin' a blazing Marshall or Fender amp. I'm talkin' the higher gain types like JCM 800's and up and post '80 Fenders like Super 60s, Concerts and the II Series on up.

The notes maintain their integrity or clarity better while giving a stronger push for "better" than PAF performance for gainier tones, sans pedals, though they interact beautifully when used with pedals and fx.

NOT a high gain pickup by any means but IMO a slightly hotter Ttop, (another pickup I championed here back in the early days along with minihumbuckers and P90's and I got reamed for it ), which is how I think of them.

Sweet! Yeah, I like 'em too! And ya gotta wonder how many folks loved their "Shaw" tone, as the early ones got mistaken for them often. (and sometimes sold for HUGE profit from unscrupulous sellers)

Not sure which mags in these. These are the first that didn't have the PAT# on the bottom..(Gibson USA stamp) so I guessed A2 for them.

So short A5, like T Top/PAT#, or long like BB V? Hell, they're cheap enough, I could try both!

Old School

I have played the 2017 Satin Gold Top Tribute, I think they have 490 pickups, they sound fine, a good rock pickupup, which is probably what its designed for.

garywright

anyone else experimented with a5s in pickups other than the 57 classics ? ..the reason I ask is that I have a pair of a5s and have given some thought to trying them in a set of True60s or 07 Dr.Vintages both were standard with a2s

Old School

I know there is a Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates Plus that Fender use and they have A5s, as compared to the Pearly Gates normal version has A2s. I have one in my Strat, and sounds more like a SD 59 which also has A5, the standard Pearly Gates is more boom, and balls but less treble and clarity I think. Basically A5 will probably be clearer and more treble in anything. I might try putting A2 in spare SD 59 I have to see difference.

anyone else experimented with a5s in pickups other than the 57 classics ? ..the reason I ask is that I have a pair of a5s and have given some thought to trying them in a set of True60s or 07 Dr.Vintages both were standard with a2s

garywright

interesting ...I have a pair if late 80s Duncan '59s ...been a while since I used them in anything but remember them sounding pretty decent ...those came stock with A5s ?

Big Al

interesting ...I have a pair if late 80s Duncan '59s ...been a while since I used them in anything but remember them sounding pretty decent ...those came stock with A5s ?

Yup! Great all around pickup, IMO.

Sol

The 490r and the '57 classic I have are pretty much identical in resistance and though normally wound with different wire my own '92 Les Paul Standard came with the 490r wound with enamel wire. Very unusual I know but there must have been a brief period where the 57 classic and 490r were wound with the same wire.
The 498t is wound with a clear coated wire with a short alnico 5 magnet and is an excellent rock pickup, very much the hotnrodded PAF and very much a match for the S Duncan JB model pickup IMHO.

I'M going to try an alternative magnet in my old 57 classic, like the 490 r it's a great pickup but that alnico 2 magnet keeps the tone warm... Too warm perhaps ? I'm interested to find out , I see some magnet swapping in my future..

Big Al : So good to see you so active on the forum, you've been here forever, I need to spend more time here as it's always time well spent.. peace!

Old School

The 490r and the '57 classic I have are pretty much identical in resistance and though normally wound with different wire my own '92 Les Paul Standard came with the 490r wound with enamel wire. Very unusual I know but there must have been a brief period where the 57 classic and 490r were wound with the same wire.
The 498t is wound with a clear coated wire with a short alnico 5 magnet and is an excellent rock pickup, very much the hotnrodded PAF and very much a match for the S Duncan JB model pickup IMHO.

I'M going to try an alternative magnet in my old 57 classic, like the 490 r it's a great pickup but that alnico 2 magnet keeps the tone warm... Too warm perhaps ? I'm interested to find out , I see some magnet swapping in my future..

Big Al : So good to see you so active on the forum, you've been here forever, I need to spend more time here as it's always time well spent.. peace!

The A5 definitely changed my pickup, you can still tell its a 57 but as you say hot rodded, brighter and more aggressive, but lost some of its fatness.

Old School

So been fooling around with pickups, I have decided I dont really like the 57 Classic pickup with alnico5 magnets, although it is clearer it just sort of sounds wrong, I have tried the 498T, which I actualy didnt mind, and tried the Burstbucker Pros, now I cant decide between Bustbucker Pros and the 498T, different but I like both, for different reasons, must pick one.