• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Help identify a korean Epiphone LP Custom

XandruDavid

Hi, i'm Alexandru from Italy.
I hope this is the correct place to post an identification request.

So, I want to buy my first Les Paul and I have to stay on the cheap side. I've found a beautifoul second hand Epiphone LP Custom with 59 seymour duncans. It looks a bit dusty but the owner said it is flawless. I'm going to see it as soon as I can but i'd like to know a bit more about the guitar. I'm a bit scared with all those chinese guitars imported to Europe so i'm trying to decode the serial number.

The serial is S107030505 or SI07030505 (i can't understand if it is a 1 or a I). Using http://www.guitardaterproject.org/epiphone.aspx says "Serial number unrecognized" in both cases, if i remove the 1/I i get:

Your guitar was made at the
Samick Plant, Korea
on March, 2007
Production Number: 505

which would be a beautifoul news. Can someone help me understand what's going on?
Here are some photos of the guitar: http://www.mercatinomusicale.com/mm/a_epiphone-les-paul-custom_id5237220.html#pics

Last edited:

workerunit

Going by the serial number, it appears to be a Samick made Epiphone Les Paul. Samick made some of the best Epiphone Les Pauls of that era. It probably has a long neck tenon. Pickups and the electronics are of average quality for Asian built guitars of that era, maybe with dime sized pots and can be upgraded to more modern specifications.

Big Al

Going by the serial number, it appears to be a Samick made Epiphone Les Paul. Samick made some of the best Epiphone Les Pauls of that era. It probably has a long neck tenon. Pickups and the electronics are of average quality for Asian built guitars of that era, maybe with dime sized pots and can be upgraded to more modern specifications.

Why would it probably have a long neck tenon?

workerunit

Epiphones? Long (ish)?

Some are Epiphone branded and one is a "The Samick" Les Paul Custom type guitar with a "lawsuit" head stock.

I say "Longish" because the tenon does extend into the pick up cavity underneath the pickup, but is just a little shorter (maybe an eighth of an inch shorter) than typical Long Tenons found in Gibson Les Paul's.