• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Blackface bonanza

montesada

Awesome video!

Winner = 1965 Bassman
2nd place= Vibro Champ
3rd place= Super Reverb

Last place= Twin (unexpected)

Stephens

Johan is the best! I've really been getting into his videos lately. He always has an entertaining intro and narrative before the clips. Cool comparison and video editing. I'm partial to the Super Reverb! šŸ¤˜

sonar

1965 Bassman? There were 3 different designs of the Bassman in 1965. All very different from each other.

The Princeton Reverb, Vibroverb and Twin Reverb sound tired and sick... not at all representative of healthy examples of these models.

I'm sorry, but this is not a fair representation of BF amps for a comparison. It should just be titled "Guy playing a bunch of Fender amps..." Some sound good, some not as much. Not much more can be taken away from this video.

And shorts? Put on some big boy pants!

Professortwang

There is a lot of variance in the quality and sound of speakers in different blackface amps. I've heard plenty anemic sounding Princeton reverb's and Deluxes in need of service. I would agree the video is a poor representation of what the amps can sound like. One other thing, very few people use the normal channels in blackface amps over the Reverb channel. I understand he was comparing some models without reverb.

sonar

There is a lot of variance in the quality and sound of speakers in different blackface amps. I've heard plenty anemic sounding Princeton reverb's and Deluxes in need of service. I would agree the video is a poor representation of what the amps can sound like. One other thing, very few people use the normal channels in blackface amps over the Reverb channel. I understand he was comparing some models without reverb.

I always thought this vid to be a good representation of a PR.

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
bad mic placement you can see... dead center? Does that ever work?

JPP-1

I would agree. That video does not due justice to many of those amps. I do like some of that guys many videos, I mean the vintage amps especially the range of Marshalls he has is incredible. And he doesn't waste time talking. But his videos are too quick and don't really show of the nuances of each amp.

Of course the worst videos for demo purposes afaic are Gregs guitars and that capatain guy. I mean that guy Greg every fvcking guitar sounds the same. If i never hear an okka diablo again it will be too soon and that guy the Captain. I mean is he supposed to be funny. He and his buddy compare guitars by running them through different amps gum flapping away at the same time. Worst comaprison demo videos ever.

Professortwang

I usually like his videos as well. He definitely seems more familiar with Marshall amps. Needs to spend a little more time with BF Fenders. This is how you demo an amp! Of course very few people approach Simo's skill level. I could spend forever listening to this guy.